Sponsored by:

Gas lines to gas tank - how to?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:33 PM
carrera303
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas lines to gas tank - how to?

I'm restoring a 75 914. The car came with the gas tank disconnected from the two gas lines. I need help understanding how to reconnect the lines to the tank.

1. The fuel pump is connected to the fuel filter. Which one is downstream from the fuel tank first - the fuel pump or the fuel filter? In other words, is the line from the fuel pump connected to the fuel tank or is the line from the fuel filter connected to the fuel tank?

2. The return line is a clear plastic line 3/16" od. The steel pipe for the return line to the fuel tank is 5/16" od. How are these connected? Is there a special kind of connecting line or fitting I need?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:57 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

the tank nipple with the strainer attached to it goes to the fuel filter via about a 12mm line and then to the large inlet on the pump. The other side of the pump goes to one of the main lines down the inside of the tunnel which goes up to the back of the right passenger side injector rail. The other main line under the tank connects to the return nipple on the bottom of the tank. The delivery and return lines for the 75 76 models are 7mm id

Quick Reply: Gas lines to gas tank - how to?