Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

912 going to RHD...with VW floorpans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 02:02 AM
modz
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 912 going to RHD...with VW floorpans?

First post here - so HI from New Zealand - thanks for the fantastic knowledge base you have here!

We run RHD cars in NZ, just like our cousins in Australia; and having searched for an early RHD 911/912 for a long time, I am leaning toward picking up a project 912 body from the US or Europe and doing the RHD conversion myself.

Particularly when most early 60's cars need the floor pan replaced anyway.

The intention was to always have it as a track/hot rod style car - I've built cars to satisfy the 'market' before so this one is being done my way!

Having read the various RHD conversion threads and seen how much actually needs replacing; my question is - How close are the floor pans of a VW beetle to a 911/912?

Reason being that RHD beetle floor pan sections are produced (even now) brand new and are cheap. RHD Porsche floor sections are neither...

I also realise the RHD conversion is more than just the floor pan...but you gotta start somewhere.

I'm handy with the MIG so cutting / sectioning in metal is not a big issue.

Cheers
Old 08-07-2014, 01:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Porsche sheet metal is just as available.
http://restoration-design.com/
I would think it easier to convert a new lhd pan than to convert a VW.
Btw, I have the wooden floor boards from a rhd I used to own. Not in great condition but would serve as a good template to make your own. Pm me with an offer if they interest you.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 PM
modz
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply, yes I had seen how much Porsche equipment was available but no one seems to offer LHD; where as I can source a proper RHD stamped VW pan.

The plan was to use the VW pan / pedal assembly area and section into the Porsche pan.

I'll PM you about the floorboards tho thank you

Quick Reply: 912 going to RHD...with VW floorpans?