Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 3.2 running issues, upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 911 3.2 running issues, upgrades

This is a longer post, so just be ready!

My 3.2 Carrera seemed to develop various ailments, mostly unrelated, all in a cluster. I feel this was due to my decision to turn down a very fine offer from a fellow Rennlister who genuinely wanted the car.

So, as soon as carma caught up with my hoarderness, the avalanche of woe started:

1. Idle surging. Not uncommon, but this was coupled with...
2. Psychotic running behaviors. One day great, the next day bucking like a rented mule after hitting the 5-Hour Energy hay bale a few times.
3. Creaking suspension. Sounded fine sometimes, then it'd become a circus wagon of creaks and squeaks. All the WD40, lube, bushing massaging never corrected it.
4. Cruise control freak-out. Held fine until shortly after my refusal to sell the car, then wouldn't hold at all. I suspect foul play.
5. A sudden grinding/metallic horribleness in the left rear wheel. This resulted in a 22 mile tow, and me pretending to be interested in coon-hunting with the mostly toothless driver.

I won't bore you (notice: possible lie alert) with the full diagnosis, but in time - and I mean after many trials, errors, massive post reading/searching on this forum, it seems we corrected the following:

1. Idle was traced, then untraced, then it reappeared AFTER replacing various parts with the primary culprit being the ICV. (Vacuum leaks, other suspects systematically outed). Even got my ECU sniffed over by Sal Carceller. (<--Genius level work people, more to come.)

Finally, the problem WAS with the ICV because I bought one with the 'right' number off eBay, from Germany, that was very much unwell. The $12 'warranty' paid off. A correct ICV solved the problem.

2. Psychotic running issues were resolved with the two fly wheel sensors. This was the most serious of the issues as when it occurred, you'd be convinced you were going to be practicing your roadside traffic manners. Both sensors replaced, problem resolved.

3. Creaking. Turned out to be my 30+ year old shocks. Wonder if there's any warranty left? Tech #1 did NOT catch this, but tech #2 caught it instantly. Four Boges later, the ride is silent (or so I'm told, stay tuned)

4. Cruise module. Okay, don your mystery hats. Sent module off for repair after Tech #1 determines fault.

Get it rebuilt by eBay dude, "Mandigital" who is regarded here.

Returns unit 'rebuilt', installed, no worky. Tech #1 again says, "Module" so I re-return it. Mandigital re-re-returns it claiming 'AOK'. Uh, not exactly.

Tech #2 says, "Bulls**t" and gets a used one plugged in to find out cruise is perfect. Mandigital gives unenthusiastic refund. UPS is the only one who profited. Then...

I read online about 'LEDs interference with cruise" and wonder if this was related since I DID change out the LED brake light bulbs during all this. Yet the very used $49 unit seems to be working fine with LED brake lights. Oh, and yes I bought the eBay warranty..

5. Grinding metallic noise. Seriously, like rocks in a blender. Tech #1 can't locate exactly, gifted tech but has no lift, no press, and doesn't want to waste my money. Tech #2 says, "Good lord man your wheel bearing has exploded". Okay, a contrast. Get it redone and no Ninja Blender rear end noises.

Yet once in hand of highly competent, actively interested shop with Tech #2, I wonder...
  • Isn't my twin out 3.5" exhaust stupid?
  • Why does Sal Carceller hate my AutoThority chip (likely installed in the late 80s!) Perhaps its huge timing advance that could grenade my financial solvency?
  • Are my injectors spewing fuel like a baby bottle? Or misting it nicely?
  • Can I upgrade anything else 'while I'm in there?" <--The most expensive question in all of automobliedom.

So, after making a few fairly expensive but (hopefully) well-thought out solutions, they've done all the work including upgrades.

Tech #2 says, "Best running 911 I've seen since they were new. Am seriously surprised at the result".

Owner of shop calls me, "Do you mind if I copy this exhaust/chip/injector set up?" (And he's no ordinary owner. He's a defense contractor with an F12 being delivered end of next month, not easily impressed.)

As you'd imagine, I am giddy to pick the car up next Monday. Seriously I think about it as I'm going to sleep! Will report back.

Last edited by Adams; 03-18-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

I've had erratic idle as well on my 88 when it gets above 60 degrees out. Going to send the fuel Control ECU off this week to get looked at. If that's not it, ICV replacement is next. No vacuum leaks.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Got the car back, what a difference.

All idle issues resolved. Car idles completely evenly, and actually better than before the surge due - I believe - to the new injectors. Sal built in a '3 second prime' which helps starting also.

Though I went with the Euro pre muffler and the 'sport' exhaust, car is quieter than before. Unreal. Sounds really nice, plus all the polished stainless looks great underneath. (Tail pipe on the Dansk sport is about an inch too long for my tastes.)

Car runs fantastically. The chip comes 'on' about 4200ish, pulls quite strong (assuming likened to the Euro cars) all the way up.

I'm ecstatic to have the car back! Got to love an air cooled 911.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:46 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Nothing to add other than a very amusing read and great to hear you got it all sorted out.

Oh, and it's not nice letting someone copy Sal's chip after all the support he gives.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Nothing to add other than a very amusing read and great to hear you got it all sorted out.

Oh, and it's not nice letting someone copy Sal's chip after all the support he gives.
Thanks for that. The car continues to impress. Rather amazing to have a 31 year old car pop right off in the morning, idle as evenly as new, pull without a moment's protest, and be stronger than ever.

Sal's chip, injector set up, plus his absolutely incredible pre and post purchase help is beyond belief. (Did someone copy his chip? If so, rather uncool. He is a blooming mad scientist who's got a pile of experience, sweat, and blood invested.)

POST EDIT: I see where I wrote, 'Owner asked if he could copy chip...' meaning, he wanted to get the exact same set up for his car, NOT actually 'copy' Sal's chip. Sorry for the confusion, not intended.

Anyone contemplating a chip and/or injector upgrade should get in touch with Sal. He bent over backwards to help me, spoke to my tech not once but twice, and followed up with me to make sure all was well. The exhaust upgrade - working in concert with chip/injectors - was the finishing fluorish. You guys can't believe how concerned I was over mucking up the exhaust note, and I'll reiterate that its quieter (a tad) than my old rumbling 2 out, and far smoother.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Great prose! Just the read I needed on a Thursday afternoon.

And, hey, we need some tips on coon hunting.

Quick Reply: 911 3.2 running issues, upgrades