Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, Gonzo has either set but is directing me towards the 703 set as they don't require an adapter.

His big question though is what about the difference in the impedance?

....actually, I wonder if he thinks I'm working on a 928. I've been known to do that.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Not to disrespect Sal, but injectors are easily pulled from a junkyard for about $4.50 EA.

A word on simply cleaning your stock injectors. Sure, run Techron, but you may need more. I had mine cleaned and wow what a change across the entire map. My gas milage dropped significantly (in other words they were seriously clogged)...
Sal said he uses new Ford racing injectors and are quite new. Not expensive, but plug right in. (They're purple if that gives any clue to what model he's using.)

Do you mean your gas mileage increased, as in efficiency across the board improved? Or it dropped bc you were barely trickling fuel before? Dangerous sounding lean condition. Anyway, just seeking clarification.

I had a spare set of injectors cleaned/tested by Witch Hunter Performance, but haven't installed. Sal did my DME and upgraded the '85 MY pin from 24 to 28. So the car runs 'better' but I, like you guys, feel there's some untapped potential in the injector realm.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Adams, my injectors were clogged, causing a constant lean condition that caused the higher temps and the higher gas mileage. Now that they are putting out the proper amount of fuel I'm getting far better performance, but have a noticeable increase in fuel used and drop in gas mileage. I remember one trip getting almost 30 MPG and it's now in the 24 MPG range.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm....as a data point, cruising 180 miles or so on varying flat/ hills etc near sea level at around 60 F degrees, I got over 32 mpg without using cruise control. I know for a fact it's not running lean because I checked it with the LM-1. Running perfect from .98 to 1.02 lambda.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
Hmm....as a data point, cruising 180 miles or so on varying flat/ hills etc near sea level at around 60 F degrees, I got over 32 mpg without using cruise control. I know for a fact it's not running lean because I checked it with the LM-1. Running perfect from .98 to 1.02 lambda.
I got the best gas milage on a trip clear up to Moonstone Beach and back on one tank years ago. Car ran fine but idled hot. Went right by your parents place.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:51 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

On PCH? I have no idea where that is.

Have you taken a look at the cat in the dark? Is it glowing red? The hot idle is weird. And if the DME is working, and the O2 sensor is healthy, it should not be allowing the car to run lean, no way. A massive vacuum leak would do that, but it would start very hard and you'd need starting fluid to get it to start up. Maybe check around the intake tubes, manifold, crankcase breather hoses, etc. When you remove the oil cap, does the rpm drop?
Old 01-11-2017, 07:56 PM
CAporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCH = Pacific Coast Hiway = Hwy 1
Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
On PCH? I have no idea where that is.

Have you taken a look at the cat in the dark? Is it glowing red? The hot idle is weird. And if the DME is working, and the O2 sensor is healthy, it should not be allowing the car to run lean, no way. A massive vacuum leak would do that, but it would start very hard and you'd need starting fluid to get it to start up. Maybe check around the intake tubes, manifold, crankcase breather hoses, etc. When you remove the oil cap, does the rpm drop?
Moonstone is just north of your parents' place up PCH. Fantastic green cash seafood place called The Sea Chest is worthy of the drive from here just for that.

It didn't matter if I ran your "loaner" DME or my DME it ran and idled much warmer than after I had the injectors cleaned.....and I took care of all vacuum leaks several years ago.

Last Thursday I drove it to San Diego to a fellow Rennlister's funeral and the needle never even reached the first bar. Runs fantastic....OK, I do mix the octane up several points over the 91 pump...up to maybe 94.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I had to look at a map to find this "Moonstone" haha..

OK, now I'm sad that I missed your trip. It's just north of 46, which is the alternate route into Morro Bay. By Cambria, which I think is nicer than Morro Bay, but frankly the beach sucks there.

Doug, I suspect the injectors were malfunctioning, like maybe they were sticking or not balanced, etc. The stock injectors work pretty well, and if they are working perfectly, will make that fog that we saw in the video. Not sure what the heck was going on with those "Vette injectors.

I changed all 6 of my original injectors and saw zero difference. I still have the originals vaccum sealed somewhere deep in the garage. Sometimes changing a weak or tired O2 sensor will return lost power, which is obvious. But there are really no secrets to unlocking performance.

Love the pic too.^
Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 PM
stlrj
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
OK, Gonzo has either set but is directing me towards the 703 set as they don't require an adapter.

His big question though is what about the difference in the impedance?

....actually, I wonder if he thinks I'm working on a 928. I've been known to do that.
I ran the 703s for months until I found a set of 784s that ran even better. I know they say they are the same but I found the difference quite noticeable with better low end torque and throttle response and a smoother idle. Regardless, the 703s were not too bad but after having gone back and forth with them over time, I still prefer the 784s even if they do require the adapters.

I heard that the impedance difference was not an issue with these EV6 injectors due to improved electrical design resulting very low response times which I believe was the idea behind the original low impedance injectors.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by stlrj; 01-15-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Russ, the plan, if I make it to my 50th birthday in March, is to take the 1 and 101 up the coast. First night will be in Morro or Moonstone. Second night Half Moon Bay where the Marine Captain that took me in at 16 lives. Then on to The City then up to Sonoma where I spent many a summer and where I lived with that Marine and his wife....Well mostly I lived with his wife.....Wellll,,,actually she kinda had split personalities and I was kinda her toy...Oh, nevermind, it's complicated. Anyway, you get the idea. Basically a trip up to San Francisco to see all the places both Elayne and I enjoyed as young kids. Also have a trip planned back to St Lucia so Trump better not disappoint.

Joe, would you say $100 for six 784's and six addapters is a good deal? I really have no idea if that is Gonzo's list price or a special price for being a good customer or how much is addapters and how much is injectors. He just said he'd loan them to me and I could either bring them back or give him $100. Sounds like a smokin' deal.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:59 PM
stlrj
Instructor

I'd say it was smokin' too.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by stlrj
I'd say it was smokin' too.
Now I just gotta decide if I'm paying the mortgage or buying injectors.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:02 PM
stlrj
Instructor

But the installation cost alone might be several times the cost of the injectors, unless of course, you are capable of a self install.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by stlrj
But the installation cost alone might be several times the cost of the injectors, unless of course, you are capable of a self install.
Say hello to my little friends:
(I call this my Snap On drawer)
Haven't paid a mechanic to do anything but change tires for me in many a decade...
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 3.2 performance