Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone else experience "aggressive purchase offers"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts
Default This is becoming annoying!!!!!!!!!

So I was working on my Cayenne and I realized i do not own a tool?!?!?! Needed a 16mm triple square to remove the rear calipers. Turned out to be a nice day and I was requested by my wife to deliver lunch to her and my son who were at the Meadowlands autocrossing. My wife was helping with timing and my son driving.

So I figured nice day to take the C2 out for a spin.

So on the way I stopped by Autozone in hopes to find the tool. Before I could get out of the car I had someone ask me if I was interested in selling. No thanks! Of Course Autozone had nothing so I leave and as I am about to get into the car a guy in an Escalade swerves into the parking lot blocking me in rolls down his window asking if I wanted to sell. I said no but he kept on pushing. I asked him politely to move so I can leave but wanted my phone number before I left. Gave him a fictitious number claiming I didn't have my phone on me.

Delivered lunch watched a little competitive driving and headed off to PepBoys. As I find a lone spot way off the far end of the lot I hear a car beep. Another guy wanting to buy my car. Said no and into the store I went with one eye out the window the entire time. Luckily they had the tool. As I go to get into the car another person asked if I wanted to sell. I laughed and said you are the 4th person today who asked. Again politely No Thanks!!!

So I am driving home and I see this silver chevy pickup weaving through traffic. It looks as though he was trying to keep up with me so I get on it. I came up to a stop light and had no choice to stop. The guy leaves his truck in the middle of the road and runs up to my car at the intersection and starts pleading with me to sell him my car. I said NO!!!! Please!!! Name your price? NO!!! How about $70k??? light changed and I sped off.

Do people really think this type of approach works? I don't know these people and more than likely I would have to worry about being robbed but I do admit it is taking the fun out of driving.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

$75k? :-)
Old 10-04-2015, 08:52 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe it's a coincidence but I keep seeing these stories posted by guys living in Jersey.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:07 AM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen it work on TV. Counting Cars. Even on tv it doesn't work all the time.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Maybe it's a coincidence but I keep seeing these stories posted by guys living in Jersey.
LOL

It must be the water.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I have not had someone make an offer, folks in the South still think the 911 is an overpriced VW Beetle
Old 10-05-2015, 11:20 AM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not had anyone come at me like that but this thread got me thinking about my response to an unsolicited offer on my 88 turbo and I think I have it down:

"Heck I know these are desirable cars now, and I know Steve McQueen just sold his 2 months ago at auction for 1.95 Million so - what's YOUR best offer?".
Old 10-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Nah, mine's too ugly...
Old 10-05-2015, 01:39 PM
bemmett
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a small collection of notes left on my windshield from the past year with unsolicited offers to buy my '87 911. Nearing a dozen at last count, and the car is definitely a 15 footer. Similar conversations going on over at Pelican - everyone seems to think they are Wayne Carini now...
Old 10-05-2015, 03:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bemmett
I have a small collection of notes left on my windshield from the past year with unsolicited offers to buy my '87 911. Nearing a dozen at last count, and the car is definitely a 15 footer. Similar conversations going on over at Pelican - everyone seems to think they are Wayne Carini now...
Oh god no. I have seen some of the cars he sold all I can say is run.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:03 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I met Wayne a few years ago at the Monterey week...

I always wondered if there was any seller risk from flipping a car (When a seller does a quick flip, not fixing everything they know is wrong with the car. Is there an implied warranty, etc.).

I asked him a question similar to that and he wasn't very cordial in his response. It certainly gives me a suspicious perspective, if I happen to watch his show "Chasing Classic Cars".

Since that time I have see him frequently at the car shows that I have attended (Mostly in Monterey). Never re-approached him. He seems to have a sour attitude.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
I have not had someone make an offer, folks in the South still think the 911 is an overpriced VW Beetle
..it is ... okay i'll give you 5 grand for it ....
Old 10-06-2015, 09:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Something is wrong with people I received two letters this week in the mail offering to buy my house.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:38 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Something is wrong with people I received two letters this week in the mail offering to buy my house.
I get letters once or twice a month from local car dealerships offering to buy my previous new cars. In one instance I sold the car to that dealership 3 years ago, but they are still offering to buy it from me.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Now my house, that's different. We're constantly getting realtor letters asking if we want to sell...

Quick Reply: Anyone else experience "aggressive purchase offers"?