Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

"Budget" Singer 911

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:31 PM
rfloz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I don't get is the weight. R&T says it weighs 2743# after losing 362#.

First, do 964s really weigh 3105#?

Second, my '84 is a tick under 2400# with 5 gallons of gas.

Admittedly, mine is pretty much a delete everything example, but it still has factory steel wide fenders and front trunk lid and aluminum front bumper, as well as OEM manual sport seats. So, I could lose maybe 100# more.

I'm not claiming it's a poor man's Singer. But hey, I like it; even w/ a near stock 3.2. With a 3.6, I wouldn't be getting a whole lot more performance for my added 1/2 mil. That's a lot for perforated seats and slightly better gaps in the body work.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen one up close and it really is stunning, but I'd rather invest in a nice vacation home.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by wbfondren
I'm sure we've all thought about it, trying to create our own Singer 911 at a "budget price."

But what would it take to do it properly? To make sure that the car looked the part and felt like it too. Obviously everything wouldn't be quite up to the Singer standard, but what would it take to get it close? What specific 911 would you start out with, and where would you go from there. From start to finish, every component, from the drivetrain to the interior. Could it be done?

(I'm secretly trying to start my perfect 911 project with some of the advice from this forum, so don't be too hard on the wallet! But be honest!)
I see the Singer as a resto-mod. Very well built but way overdone, making it a piece of jewelry. Anyone can take an SC or 3.2 and fully restore it to top condition for way less than $100k. To me that would be a more appealing car, as I do not drive pieces of jewelry, especially ones with quilted leather in the engine bay.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I see the Singer as a resto-mod. Very well built but way overdone, making it a piece of jewelry. Anyone can take an SC or 3.2 and fully restore it to top condition for way less than $100k. To me that would be a more appealing car, as I do not drive pieces of jewelry, especially ones with quilted leather in the engine bay.
Ditto. I wish I had my SC the way it looked the day I bought it...decent shape...but needing cosmetic help...for $12000...won't find that again...
Old 06-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTgears
Speaking of 997, I personally like what Bisimoto is doing. Give me a widebody 911SC with a 997 engine and gearbox. That's a pretty cool approach without all the added cost of the Mezger engine or the Cup based GT3 gearbox. Just find a wrecked '05 with good powertrain and you've got a swap project.

http://bisimoto.com/2015/
What he said. An SC with some later driveline parts. Buckets o' fun. As for fit and finish, that's a matter of skill and how much time you've got to spend.
-C
Old 07-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Bisimoto
Former Vendor

Talking

Originally Posted by GTgears
Are you talking about the blue '76 turbo? I've seen it in person at FOS but didn't give it the thorough once over up close. I just gave it a quick walk around. I just like the concept. I think a 997 NA 3.8 with matching Aisin gearbox is a really interesting approach as air cooled builds go sky high. I could do the whole driveline swap for about half the budget of just the Singer engine.

I know nothing of Bisi's workmanship. And I think the **** on that blue car too wide. I'm just giving credit to them as the first ones I came across doing 997 WC stuff in Carrera chassis.
Thanks for the kind words. I do need a wide rear track as the vehicle does make north of 850whp, and is a blast to drive. I love the classic looks of the older 911s, hence my tribute to the IROC. The scientist in me tugs towards new technology: the water cooled 4 valve head engine, full drive by wire (a first in an aircooled chassis), and functional CAN BUS protocol for reliability, lightweight and ease of module communication.

To the gentleman who spoke of me in an awkward manner, no need to be nasty: I am not familiar with your vehicle, or any conversations with you...feel free to visit anytime, and I display no chagrin. I am, however, an open and honest enthusiast and engineer who loves to interact with other Porsche owners, compare notes and share experiences. I love talking about, and showing off, this and other projects, and my Porsches are meant to be driven, not polished: over 25,000 miles on the blue one since I built her.

If this is "ricer", then kindly pass the soy sauce:
Name:  IMG_5903_zpsfxltszu1.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  20150101_085835_zpsfoaoyfyd.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  57.9 KB

A little racing for the '76:
Old 07-06-2015, 08:54 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Explain why drive-by-wire is desirable? Trailing brake is tough enough in a torsion bar car. Throwing in a computer that may or may not respond to your command when needing to plant the rear is something I don't think I'd find desirable at, say, Thunderhill T1. Happy to compare notes via AIM, Motec, or any other front line data.

(On my mind recently because of a possible heat related malfunction on the stability control with the 996 Turbo when I was NOT expecting it.)
Old 07-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Bisimoto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by race911
Explain why drive-by-wire is desirable? Trailing brake is tough enough in a torsion bar car. Throwing in a computer that may or may not respond to your command when needing to plant the rear is something I don't think I'd find desirable at, say, Thunderhill T1. Happy to compare notes via AIM, Motec, or any other front line data.

(On my mind recently because of a possible heat related malfunction on the stability control with the 996 Turbo when I was NOT expecting it.)
Sure:
One less aperture for a boost leak, typically seen with Idle control valves.
Improved idle control.
Smoother traction control protocols.
Ability to set up varying pedal to throttle plate ratio control (ECO/normal/sport modes, Valet mode capabilities, personal preferences, et cetera)
Fail-safe protocols (throttle position could be tied into fail-safes attributed to fuel and oil pressure, and lambda)

I hope that helps.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You're putting TC in a torsion bar chassis? Now THAT would transform the old buckets of bolts.

Else, not sure I care about valet mode, etc. on a track car. Which is the only reason I keep them around. And can't say I ever had one come back to the shop, critically or fatally injured, that would have been saved by a limp mode. Well, other than a puked tensioner. Have to say it would have been hilarious in the 2.7/no oil cooler/air conditioning equipped/Phoenix climate that would have rendered the car a 912 if the oil temp went above ~220F.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:39 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

with cars like this it's about the journey, not the destination. the buyer finds gratification in working with craftsmen who have the "eye" for details.

somewhere there is a bored ortho surgeon, lawyer, construction magnate, etc. who has some money and wants to embark on a creative expedition that has some "old world" qualities like fabrication, paint, uphostery. kind of like a "shop class as soulcraft" meets rarified air. some of them choose to go thru the imagination, development, construction process with their car enthusiast children as a sort of exclusive tree house project. so singer, foose, confederate cycles, burt rutan, and the like service this clientele. from my perspective it's a hell of a lot more interesting that putting that money into a painting or sculpture.

problem develops when there are too many "singers" out there. I met a guy last wknd who just took delivery of two singers. Both were incredible and made the adjacently parked 918's and P1 pale in comparison. I think I was told that there are something like 40 singers on back log. doesn't take long before they aren't so unique. not to mention all the wannabes that this thread is acknowledging. but there will be other things.

Last edited by nowata; 07-09-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:12 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's always Hot Rods vs Concours. Two obsessed people spending stupid money to create some perfect reflection of their own ego... and getting 40 cents on the dollar for an investment in a car they will never drive.

But they are "Job Creators"... god bless them... I love looking at the cars, and don't have to write the checks.

Or you can just buy a nice stock version of the car, and drive the heck out of it, and have fun...

Quick Reply: "Budget" Singer 911