Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 73 Posts

^^^^ 959 niche, correct, water cooled heads
Old 09-28-2016, 01:39 PM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
All that said, the bubble is somewhat deflating now.
I seen 3.2 back to 30s 915 or G50 and they take time to sell, that's what happen when many dumping them back to the market after short term ownership.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,339 Posts

We have to get through this mess we call a Presidential election. Every business owner I speak with is sucking wind waiting until this is resolved which is typical just before an election. We have a lot more to worry about other than vintage cars and it doesn't seem to be impacting just air-cooled 911's.

I wouldn't make any assumptions until the spring.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The markets sure reacted yesterday. Clinton won the debate and the markets went up. They seem to be going up again today.

No matter how people might feel about the election the financial folks have already voted. Actually they picked their side a few years ago.

If the next President would devalue the dollar we would see prices increase. With the dollar this strong the Europeans are on the sidelines. The weaker the dollar the more we can export.

We also have no idea what will happen to Porsche prices if we have a trade war. Normally if we raise taxes on imports other countries do the same to the things we're selling. If other countries start taxing used Porsches heavly then the price of a collector Porsche here will drop because you'll never be able to sell it on the world market.

This could get interesting. I don't see anything happening until next year at Monterey. Scottsdale is still a domestic market for the most part.

Richard Newton
Porsche Tie Rod Ends
Old 10-01-2016, 07:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Clinton won the debate?

Originally Posted by 73911
The markets sure reacted yesterday. Clinton won the debate and the markets went up. They seem to be going up again today.

No matter how people might feel about the election the financial folks have already voted. Actually they picked their side a few years ago.

If the next President would devalue the dollar we would see prices increase. With the dollar this strong the Europeans are on the sidelines. The weaker the dollar the more we can export.

We also have no idea what will happen to Porsche prices if we have a trade war. Normally if we raise taxes on imports other countries do the same to the things we're selling. If other countries start taxing used Porsches heavly then the price of a collector Porsche here will drop because you'll never be able to sell it on the world market.

This could get interesting. I don't see anything happening until next year at Monterey. Scottsdale is still a domestic market for the most part.

Richard Newton
Porsche Tie Rod Ends
Old 10-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 73911

Richard Newton
Porsche Tie Rod Ends

Post that Hilliary crap in RLOT P&C. It has no place here......
Old 10-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Johnzoly
AutoX

^^^^this. Totally agree.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:36 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Long term, my money is on any Mezger "6".
Old 10-06-2016, 03:49 PM
Racer

While none of us were paying attention RM Sotheby's became a Chinese company. Chen Dongsheng purchased a controlling interest of Sotheby's.

No one is quite sure what this means. Here's http://fortune.com/2016/09/22/invest...ys-art-market/ about what this means for the art collector. The collector car market generally reflects the art market. We'll see.

Richard Newton
Old 10-06-2016, 11:28 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

My sentiments care of "Clay Davis".
Old 10-13-2016, 02:27 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 73 Posts

I was surprised to see a 1985 911 Carrera Targa go for $32K at Barrett-Jackson this week. The Dark Blue car looked great, but I am not privy to the mileage, history or mechanical condition (not discussed on TV). However, I assume mechanicals, history and mileage were very acceptable as I assume wrecks don't make it to the stage at auctions like this. Excellence Market Update puts these cars at $25K-$55K. So, a car mid-level should take $40K. At $32K I believe this to be a sign the market is softening.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:41 PM
robokeith
Intermediate

Have to see what happens in 6 months when the uncertainty is factored out of (all) markets, until then don't sell and grab a bargain if you're in the market.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:44 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grgallo
I was surprised to see a 1985 911 Carrera Targa go for $32K at Barrett-Jackson this week. The Dark Blue car looked great, but I am not privy to the mileage, history or mechanical condition (not discussed on TV). However, I assume mechanicals, history and mileage were very acceptable as I assume wrecks don't make it to the stage at auctions like this. Excellence Market Update puts these cars at $25K-$55K. So, a car mid-level should take $40K. At $32K I believe this to be a sign the market is softening.

Assume nothing at an auction. Plenty of turds in the punch bowl.
Until you've been to one in person to perform your own due diligence it's a crap shoot.
I'll venture the car wasn't up to snuff and a Targa too.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:51 PM
jgj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UK cars still going down (especially left hookers) plus you get an extra 20% off on the USD these days. Of course shipping costs back to US might torpedo that idea. And we don't have dry states here. just a thought though...
Old 10-13-2016, 04:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Is this with the commission factored in or is it $35k+ sale price?

There are so many cars going through quick cosmetic cleanup and then sold at auction or privately. Most of what i see is crap with a fresh coat of paint over lots of bondo. As said auction house or not you need to know the true condition of the car before it can be considered a good or bad buy. People are far more educated about these cars than they were a year or so back when they would buy anything that shined and was air-cooled.

Quick Reply: Air Cooled Bubble?