Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tool Kit$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
So let's say you've got a unicorn--said M491, one owner, ~30K miles, full history, concours winner, pure as the driven snow. But it's missing the tool kit. Would you only get $499,499 out of it instead of $499,999?
Originally Posted by Mondrian
I thought concours meant " as it left the factory" or are some concours valued in lesser light?
Originally Posted by parkerfe
Most high line Concours de Elegance have now become a group of virtually perfect cars in much better shape than the day they left the factory. Cars that are as they left the factory only have a chance of winning in the Preservation Class.
Either way no tool kit no concours or even preservation class.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

i think Concour in general is a total Pile of crap. Go drive the feeakin car , enoy it , and who cares if a bunch of snot nosed elitists thiinks its perfect..

That concur winning would be stuck at the side of the road with a broken belt and no way to change coz there is no tool kit . it as i whiz by enjoying the day ....
well okay id stop to help if he would dare to put mu pattined pulley wrench on his concours winning car ...

ususally when guys satrt talking about concours in a group , i slowly walk away

Just as an interesting side note the winner of our last concour event here was a beutiful 356. I went there coz they were having it at a car museum .. i didnt look at the porsches much really.

as we left the was the winning car being pushed out of the intersection on the main road by the owner and a bunch of other 356 owners.. must have died...

we went for a beer and as we left an hour later through the same intersection there was the same 356 being hauled up on to a flatbed... concour huh ,,,
Old 10-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

That's what they do. By the sound of it they spend a few days detailing the car prior to shows & obvioualy take their cars to the show on flatbeds to avoid getting it dirty again. At true classic level mileage is everything so for sure some even take it for servicing on flatbed too.

Never been to a proper concours level show to see them but love looking at pictures of immaculate cars - their car, their money and their time. I can stop and admire or walk past but would never make fun of them as they are just as passionate about their car as the 200,000 + miler having a whale of a time on track. Can't understand why some sections take such exception to others idea of fun. Live & let live.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Either way no tool kit no concours or even preservation class.
I'll expand my hypothetical to say the concours history predated the loss of a tool kit. Geez..........

Originally Posted by theiceman
i think Concour in general is a total Pile of crap. Go drive the feeakin car , enoy it , and who cares if a bunch of snot nosed elitists thiinks its perfect..

That concur winning would be stuck at the side of the road with a broken belt and no way to change coz there is no tool kit . it as i whiz by enjoying the day ....
well okay id stop to help if he would dare to put mu pattined pulley wrench on his concours winning car ...

ususally when guys satrt talking about concours in a group , i slowly walk away

Just as an interesting side note the winner of our last concour event here was a beutiful 356. I went there coz they were having it at a car museum .. i didnt look at the porsches much really.

as we left the was the winning car being pushed out of the intersection on the main road by the owner and a bunch of other 356 owners.. must have died...

we went for a beer and as we left an hour later through the same intersection there was the same 356 being hauled up on to a flatbed... concour huh ,,,
My friend, who has custody of the 996 Turbo until I get back to Phoenix in a month, regularly won Best Of Show with..........a 924, back in the '80s. Guess what? He and his wife drove the car from Phoenix to San Diego and So Cal to compete. Guess what more? It was his DE/time trial car, too.

Yeah, Zone 8 isn't Parade. (He entered it in 2 or 3 of those, too. I'll have to ask him about finishing place, as I've forgotten.)

Now in his late 70's, he's only doing Street Class. Last weekend he got overall Street win + Best of Show with his '81 SC at the AZ Phoenix Flight. Yes, he drove it across town to attend. (I think he also won in Wash And Shine with his Boxster.)

That's what they do. By the sound of it they spend a few days detailing the car prior to shows & obvioualy take their cars to the show on flatbeds to avoid getting it dirty again. At true classic level mileage is everything so for sure some even take it for servicing on flatbed too.

Never been to a proper concours level show to see them but love looking at pictures of immaculate cars - their car, their money and their time. I can stop and admire or walk past but would never make fun of them as they are just as passionate about their car as the 200,000 + miler having a whale of a time on track. Can't understand why some sections take such exception to others idea of fun. Live & let live.
The above mentioned Phoenix Flight last weekend had a good turnout. I think only the Jim Patrick entries showed up on a trailer. The 959 was driven from Tucson.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:05 PM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like having a tool kit so maybe I can fix stuff. The one in my '87 isn't complete and $350.00 for a kit beats waiting on AAA.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:12 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Sure most drive to shows but I doubt the concours cars would, not the big ones anyway, Would like to know so if anyone knows better ...
Old 10-31-2014, 04:54 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having a sports car and only taking it to car shows is like having a thoroughbred horse and only taking it to the petting zoo.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

They do have dressage!
Old 11-05-2014, 05:28 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The math is simple - spending $500 on the correct tool kit will ad more than $500 to the value of your car assuming it's not some clapped out POS.
Phil
Old 11-05-2014, 06:23 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Art is meant to be hung on a wall and looked at, so buying a painting and hanging it on the wall is obvious.

Cars are meant to be driven, and when they become art, its just a shame.

I have the tool kit and compressor from my '84 Carrara, but in day to day use, they just banged around in the frunk, so I put them somewhere. I still have the original compact spare in the car... as an archeological curiosity, I'm sure it is valuable. As a tire, not so much.

I still have the toolkit for my '70 911S, which was my track car for over a decade. I'm sure it's worth more than I am, but as a toolkit, it was useless, so I put it somewhere.

Its an irony that cars become valued because of their performance, but become so valuable, they cannot be driven anymore.

I drove the s**t out of my cars, and used to look down on people who cleaned their cars with toothbrushes every Saturday, but looking at today's collector car market, who's the greater fool?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:43 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

I forgot the whole point of this thread.
But a guy just picked up a very good condition tool kit for an sc on pelican for just over 300. I thought that was a good deal.

Quick Reply: Tool Kit$$