3.2 Carrera - 915 Transmission upgraded&problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:03 PM
kazmermiki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 Carrera - 915 Transmission upgraded&problems

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought '84 3.2 Carrera and the shifting feel is really really bad.
Hard to find the gears and the shiftings are really long. Also sometimes it is very hard to get in to the 2nd gear (it never cracks, just simply hard to get in)

The clutch is also very hard and when it warms up (usually in traffic jams) it gets even harder and sticky.

Any suggestions on my issues? Recommendations how to make the shifting short and precise.

Thanks for all the tips and links.
Cheers,
Miki
Old 10-29-2014, 02:12 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Miki, the clutch for the 915 has a helper spring to soften the pedal and often they are worn out or broken you might check it's condition. Curt
Old 10-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

2nd is a classic - particularly when cold. 915 doesn't like to be rushed through neutral. There are lots of upgrades depending on how much you want to spend, 87 factory short shift kit and seine 'gate kit' w/3-4 plane spring loading seems to work on the low budget end then there is the seine system w/the short shift kit, Wevo gate shift kit, Wevo uprated shifter, Wevo or Stomski shift coupler .... google and you will see what's been done over the past 30 years.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:13 PM
kazmermiki
Advanced

Hey Mondrian,

thanks for the answer. I have been looking at these upgrade options but price range is wide.
starting $150 to the sky. I dont want to spend more money that is necessary but I really want to have a short and precise shifting. Which one would you recommend?

The 2nd gear always very tricky (cold and warm). it is hard to get in. You have to play with it. Any suggestions how to fix it? I thought that maybe the clutch needs to be adjusted. Do you think that would help?
Old 10-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, that would help. If you aren't opening up the clutch enough, nothing is going to work right.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

A very common mistake on the 1-2 shift is to not rev up the engine enough. They are so far apart from each other that the shaft speed relative to the loose gear speed is very different unless you are up between 4-5k rpm. If you are shifting below 4k it will always be a slow shift because the synchros actually have to speed up the 2nd gear idler to get it in.

Regardless, 2nd is commonly called the "2 stage" shift. Part one is to pull it far enough to feel the slider grab the synchro. Then there is a slight pause (up to 1/2 a second) while is synchronizes, and then you can pull it into gear.

Any idea the mileage on the gear oil? People really underservice the gear oil these cars and new oil can often make a world of difference, especially if the previous owner put Redline or some other super slippery synthetic in there thinking it is better. You want a dyno gear oil in there.

And as others have mentioned, a bushing job.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with GT gears and what others have already said. Many folks love the short shift kit. The clutching you describe is exactly like mine and feels like a beast if you're unfamiliar with it.

One thing to add might be: Try double clutching to get into second when car is cold.
Another technique is to begin to move the shifter into second and blip the throttle simultaneously. (Jimmy the guru says it "goes in like butter" but I personally think it feels more like a silk scarf.)

Those of us who drive our 915 transmissions as stock on track are, I believe, a small and mostly delusional bunch who humbly* take a smidge of pride in being "purists" (sorry guys but it's true and I include myself!). Someone I know described it very accurately:

"It's a love hate relationship. When it goes well it's bliss and when not it's a b****"

*footnote: humbly because in my case my lap times are humiliating!!
Old 10-30-2014, 04:34 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kazmermiki
Hey Mondrian,

thanks for the answer. I have been looking at these upgrade options but price range is wide.
starting $150 to the sky. I dont want to spend more money that is necessary but I really want to have a short and precise shifting. Which one would you recommend?

The 2nd gear always very tricky (cold and warm). it is hard to get in. You have to play with it. Any suggestions how to fix it? I thought that maybe the clutch needs to be adjusted. Do you think that would help?
I don't think anyone out there has tried all the various options so no one can give a definitive answer, besides as you can see from the answers different folks/different strokes! Think of it as a work in progress - always best to start with the basics and take it from there;

use Swepco fluid
replace the bushings
adjust the shift coupling
Work on your shifting style, heel/toe, double de clutch

After you have done the above one of the more inexpensive mods would be the 87 factory short shift kit and seine 'gate kit' w/3-4 plane spring loading. Many are very happy with this mod however the Wevo Billet shifter takes it to a new level with $$$ to match.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:30 AM
dp9115
6th Gear

I replaced the bushings in the coupler and adjusted the coupler, takes a few goes of trial and error to get it spot on but worth the time , easier if you get a mate to hold the gear lever in place while you adjust, remember to mark the shafts so you don't get box and lever outta sync and will always have a starting ref. point. good articles on youtube on how to , good luck.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

It is Always possible your gear box and clutch are beat to death given the car is new to you as second gear synchro is always the one to go. Just about every piece of advice on here is valid but you need a plan of attack. Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes

1. Get Bentley and 101 projects book
2. Get under car and inspect and adjust cable and verify helper spring according to Bentley.
3. Remove cover between 2 rear seats and verify coupler bushings are intact
4. Remove shift housing and verify cup bushing snd donut bushing. Verify shifter has no slop and moves as expected
5. Adjust shifter and coupler according to Bentley.
6 see how she drives using pregnant pause between first and second

So far your outlay is nothing but time and about 20 bucks in bushings. Unless you decided to replace clutch cable which is what I did.

After this if things aren't better then it is going to start getting more expensive as you are looking at synchrod and clutch replacement.

There are all kinds of wevo and seine systems that are great but a well adjusted and working 915 don't need these. They are just nice add ons

I do have a factory shirt shift but did not add this until my clutch and gear box were working 100%. Ss kits can make a problem much worse so be careful. This is due to mechanical loads.

I did not include changing the fluid intentionally. That should be part of a separate maintenance program. Not a repair.

Kendall and swepco are both good products.

The above is just my opinion.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 AM
kazmermiki
Advanced

Thanks guys for all the tips, helped a lot. I really appreciate them.
Cheers,
Miki
Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
It is Always possible your gear box and clutch are beat to death given the car is new to you as second gear synchro is always the one to go. Just about every piece of advice on here is valid but you need a plan of attack. Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes 1. Get Bentley and 101 projects book 2. Get under car and inspect and adjust cable and verify helper spring according to Bentley. 3. Remove cover between 2 rear seats and verify coupler bushings are intact 4. Remove shift housing and verify cup bushing snd donut bushing. Verify shifter has no slop and moves as expected 5. Adjust shifter and coupler according to Bentley. 6 see how she drives using pregnant pause between first and second So far your outlay is nothing but time and about 20 bucks in bushings. Unless you decided to replace clutch cable which is what I did. After this if things aren't better then it is going to start getting more expensive as you are looking at synchros and clutch replacement. There are all kinds of wevo and seine systems that are great but a well adjusted and working 915 don't need these. They are just nice add ons I do have a factory short shift but did not add this until my clutch and gear box were working 100%. SS kits can make a problem much worse so be careful. This is due to mechanical loads. I did not include changing the fluid intentionally. That should be part of a separate maintenance program. Not a repair. Kendall and Swepco are both good products. The above is just my opinion.
Also it would be helpful to get together with another 915 driver to learn the ropes. You do have to learn how to drive these as they are not a modern gear box. Even just watch a few you tube vids and listen to the shifting cadence.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how does a short shift kit help

I have a question. How does a short shift kit help if you are shifting too quickly? Doesn't that increase the problem? On the 915 you want slow deliberate shifts. Good solid shift bushings are a must.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:46 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by upier
I have a question. How does a short shift kit help if you are shifting too quickly? Doesn't that increase the problem? On the 915 you want slow deliberate shifts. Good solid shift bushings are a must.
We can always shift faster than the synchros. What the short shifter does is tighten up the feel and make it not seem so vague.

Also I think people may mean the '86 factory shift kit. '87 was the first year of G50.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:08 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I figured. It is a better feel but you have to be even more careful not shifting too quickly. I have a 1986 911 Targa with a short shift from Automobile Atlanta and I really like it. If you are deliberate with a 915 it will work great for you.

Quick Reply: 3.2 Carrera - 915 Transmission upgraded&problems