Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 starts and dies right away

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:19 PM
jimbeaux911
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 911 starts and dies right away

Hi, I am a new 911 owner! I bought a 84 roller, then an 82 with an engine and trans as a parts car., as it was the only way I could afford to own one of my lifelong dream cars. While I was acquiring these two to make one, I came across another one I couldnt pass up. It was stolen, so has no original VINs but has a reissued STATE ID number, so its legal to register. The car starts right up, and runs for a few seconds and then dies. I am replacing the gastank, and cleaning the injectors and lines out now, as the car most likely sat for a long time.

The fuel pump comes right on and stays running even when the engine dies, it seems to me that I read that it should not run unless the engine is running, is this true? any suggestions?

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions on how to proceed to troubleshoot the issue(s) and hopefully get to drive a 911 for the first time in my life!

Thanks in advance!
Jim
Old 07-21-2014, 01:43 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Welcome Jim! Sounds like the start of an interesting collection.

Your 1982 should be 911SC with a 3.0 liter engine with CIS fuel injection. The 1984 would have been a Carrera with a 3.2 liter engine with electronic fuel injection.

The car that won't stay running - what year is that? It makes a difference.

The fuel pump definitely should not be running if the engine is not, at least that's true of a 911SC. It's a safety feature.

Mark
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 AM
jimbeaux911
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti

The car that won't stay running - what year is that? It makes a difference.

Mark
Mark,

Since it has no original VINs I am unsure of the year. The only thing I can do is investigate the engine numbers. I have not done that yet. Ill post that info as soon as I get off work today.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

what colour is the engine shroud ? or does it look like your 84 engine ( which is completely different from earlier models )
Old 07-21-2014, 01:04 PM
jimbeaux911
Cruisin'

Default following up on the non running engine

OK I looked up the engine numbers and the engine that starts but does not run is 1980 3.0 code 930/07. and it looks just like the engine in the 82.

so the issue is, since it starts just fine, but will not idle, what approach should I take to curing it?

Jim
Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Jim,

The very first thing I would do is install the CIS Fuel Pressure gauges on it to see what your system & control pressures are. This is critical for troubleshooting CIS FI systems!

After confirming all that, I would look for a vacuum leak in the airbox.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

ok its a 3.0

if you dont have the guages Steve is mentioning there are a few obiosus things you can do while you hunt for them

if its an 80 means the fuel lines from the fd to the injectors is steel i think , thats a pain . But if im wrong and they are ny lon pop out your fuel injectors and place all 6 in containers. then take out the air filter and lift the air plate . you should hear the pump run and all 6 injectors should spry into the contaimers.

tells you if you are getting fuel. If you are not change your fuel filter , chek your pump and there is also a screen in the warm up regulator you will see if yu take the fittings off.

because it fies up im pretty sure you have spark , i think you have fuel stavation. Steves recomendations is where you want to head but i do realize those guges arent exactly lying around everywhere.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2014, 04:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
The fuel pump definitely should not be running if the engine is not, at least that's true of a 911SC. It's a safety feature.

Mark
Many people do a "mod" to keep the fuel pump running as soon as you start the ignition . Not the end of the world but as Mark says its a safety feature .

Also dont confuse the whine of the CDI with the fuel pump .
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM
jimbeaux911
Cruisin'

Thanks for all of the advice, I really do appreciate it! I bought a book on trouble shooting the CIS, so I will read up on the fuel pressure and guages. I am installing a new gas tank, and will try to get the pump wired correctly. I already removed the injectors, but will try to test for fuel flow as soon as the tank is in the car.

So if fuel starvation is the issue, replace the filter, and if still an issue, that would mean I will need to dismantle the fuel distribution system? is that something an old VW shadetree mechanic should tackle? or is it best left to the pros?

Vacuum leak is also a high possibility, as all of the hoses are old and dry. I will be replacing all if possible.

Thanks again!

Jim

Quick Reply: 911 starts and dies right away