Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Griffiths vs Rennair

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:31 PM
981/911
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Griffiths vs Rennair

88 911 Carrera Cab. Want to change to 134a, keep rear condensor and add a fan, replace front condenser with newer version, new expansion valve/evaporator, new barrier hoses. Both companies are similar to do this.
Where they differ:
Griffith says Nippendenso Comp with rear fender well Keuhl Condensers/fans x two. In front of and behind the rear left tire.
Rennair says Sanden 507 Comp and procooler.
I will also add a central vent for the bow tie. Price not important, just want to solve this problem. I am aware the Griffiths Kuehl condensors are expensive, but are they a better option than the procooler or should I get them both?
Don't understand the different opinions of which compresser to use.
Thanks in advance for any advice. Glenn
Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Sanden was new in '04, and worked great until it leaked out the R12 in '06.

I hope it just needs a recharge because it cost $1k and I've only put 20k miles on it with the new system.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 PM
gecc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've installed 2 Griffith kits (hoses, cond, evap) in customer's ('78 & '86) cars they have worked very well. In both cars I used only the one cond behind the rear tire, both cars had factory front conds. I probably would not use the additional vent in the 86 + cars as I did not think that there was much improvement in air flow. On my '78 I'm going to add all 3 additional vent and the 2ed cond. in front of the rear tire, because the car was ordered w/o the front cond.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 AM
D.C.
Instructor

I used the Rennaire replacement system with the Sanden compressor, and pro cooler. I works just fine for me here in Virginia. I do believe that if you are in the deep south, that some additional condensor capacity would help on really hot days, while sitting in traffic.

I think if you live in a place like Houston, you need to consider some extra condensing capacity.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:03 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I had to make the same decision on my 83SC..

The impression I got was that Griffith was better, but I could not justify the overpriced units and went with Rennaire. I replaced everything except for the front and rear condensors as they were already new. I am very pleased...but I don't drive in stop and go traffic and I don't live in a hot humid environment.
abe
Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM
981/911
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Prices were similar for the same packages when I pulled out the expense of the added rear tire Kuehl condensers and the procooler. I'm going to add the Kuehl condensers(two) to the rebuild, but they are expensive. Charles from Griffifts was against the principle of the procooler from Renaire, I want to add it to his system but don't want to offend him. Just need to find the best compresser. Read another post where Denso was rated highly.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:48 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LaughaC
My Sanden was new in '04, and worked great until it leaked out the R12 in '06.

I hope it just needs a recharge because it cost $1k and I've only put 20k miles on it with the new system.
Chris I've got some stuff I bought from a guy in Madison, Tn that will probably fix you up. R22A I think it's called. I have a box of 6 cans. It will work in R12 or R134 systems, is colder than either one, and molecularly larger than either, so it doesn't leak out as easily. It's not 100% every time, but it's been good to me. He also sells gauges, hoses, and will teach you anything you want to know about AC.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

smshirk, are you referring to HC12a from Bennett Cycle & Supply in Nashville? some people swear by it & others swear about it (pros who must conform to regs that stipulate they can't load it into a car's AC?). It has a lower flash point than R134a (being propane / butane based, but enviro-friendly), has worked fine in the fleet of ancient AC systems ('87 911 / 2 E30 BMWs / '89 300TE Benz / B2000 Mazda) that I support. I figure when things under the hood reach around 1400 F, I'll have numerous issues to contend with. http://www.foxtoolsupply.com/HC-12a.htm

Quick Reply: Griffiths vs Rennair