Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 02:43 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by points
under my front wheel well.
Looking for fiberglass. Watch any crowd around a replica (or real) Cobra and you'll see people trying to be subtle when they reach under the fender to feel for fiberglass.

Few years ago at the Friday night Concours d'Elegance in Elkhart Lake (it's all race cars, paraded into town from the track) I was talking to the owner of a genuine CSX former Shelby American Cobra he was racing that weekend. During our conversation we both noticed two guys walk up and start rubbing the underside of a fender.

He excused himself from our conversation and proceeded to scold the guys with a rather strong tone: "Yes it's real, now stop touching my damn car!!" Everyone in ear shot stopped what they were doing to visually scorn them, it was rather entertaining.

Once I was parked with my factory five next to a real one from the 60's. As I was taking photos of the two, a group of guys walked up and their "expert" (every group has one) proclaimed mine has to be real since it has "Car Collector Plates" and sidepipes while the other one had regular tags and undercar exhaust (which is how the street versions were originally made....)

So I know where you are coming from but I have some fun with it. When people ask me "Is it real??" I sometimes will say: "You see it too? I thought it was just my imagination!!!"

A few times people have asked "What is it" and I've replied: "It's a 1962 Buick Skylark Prototype, they only made a dozen".
Old 01-08-2015, 07:01 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr

A few times people have asked "What is it" and I've replied: "It's a 1962 Buick Skylark Prototype, they only made a dozen".
Funny.

I read somewhere in the 356 club that only 400 some odd sun roof coupes were built in 61 so I always tell em that.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:57 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jensen
Never been asked if my coupe is real, but I have been asked "what the heck is that?" by several Boxster owners and new 911 owners...

sounds like a new generation of porsche fans that need guidance from us porschephiles
Old 01-11-2015, 03:01 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by points
1961 sunroof coupe. Ivory over green.Dellorto carbs. 86 mm Nikasil pistons.Torquer cam.Aluminum oil cooler. One hell of a fast 53 year old car.
now that sounds fun.....on my bucket list....perhaps some day
Old 01-14-2015, 12:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

A friend of mine actually drives what many people would assume to be a kit--a Speedster Carrera (4 cam). When he cranks it up it simply has to be a Carrera--you have to keep those revs up! I know he simply loves driving his special cars--he has several that many people would love to own even just one of!

Like, the Carrera Speedster, his gull-wing 300SEL from 1955, and his split window 1963 Corvette. All get driven. Perhaps many people simply don't get to see this stuff in person. Here in my town, we see this stuff routinely. Our Cars and Coffee events can drag in some of the most rare vehicles on the planet. One Sunday we had four 300SELs (all coupes) lined up for inspection!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 PM
kg356
1st Gear

Default Is this a real Porsche?

Yep, I'm asked this question all of the time. Why?

Case in point. A couple of years ago I drove over to the eastern portion of San Luis Obispo County to attend an all air-cooled car show. Several dozen 356's were on the green. I had parked my 356 over to the side of the event and walked in. After looking at the majority of them, I was dismayed to see that they were all kit cars. A man walked up to me and said that he watched me drive up and heard the engine. Since I was the only "real" 356, would I mind driving it up on the lawn so that the attendees could view it. Sure, no problem.

Until this event, I had only rarely viewed a kit car and did not realize they were this prevalent.

Just another crazy Porsche question that comes with the turf.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

This is an opportunity to educate people who likely have interest in older Porsches to begin with and that is why they are looking and asking. Unless the person was a complete asshat I would take a couple of minutes and talk with them.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

On Sunday afternoon having a lil drive a guy pulls up beside me at the light....says is that a real Porsche? I tell him yes and he says how much? I want to buy it.

I said it's not for sale.....he says come on I'll give you 80k. Now we are pulling away he says come on name your price. I see a corner coming up and turn to get away.....he follows me.

Next light he says I have a buyer in California...give me a price...I had to actually get into a traffic situation where he could not follow. Lost him after that.

These cars bring out some strange reactions regularly.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

So many speedsters have been replicated. Thus people ask.

Let em know all coupe are real and nobody replicates them. (yet)

When i do a real speedster restoration i might just leave it in ratty metal and old paint so it will be obvious steel body and nobody will question it..
Old 02-17-2015, 09:01 PM
camchain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
So many speedsters have been replicated. Thus people ask.

Let em know all coupe are real and nobody replicates them. (yet)

Unless you count these atrocities. http://www.specialtyauto.com/appearance_-_coupe.htm or these; http://www.jps-motorsports.com/Coupes.html or these; http://www.customcoachwerks.com/356-coupe/ or these; http://www.kitzkrieg.com/the-coupe . And sadly there are several more out there.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:24 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

^^^^My God....I had no idea.Who in the hell buys these cars?
Old 02-20-2015, 02:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by camchain
Unless you count these atrocities. http://www.specialtyauto.com/appearance_-_coupe.htm or these; http://www.jps-motorsports.com/Coupes.html or these; http://www.customcoachwerks.com/356-coupe/ or these; http://www.kitzkrieg.com/the-coupe . And sadly there are several more out there.
OMG!

I think i need to take a cold shower... that is just horrible.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:50 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of odd folks at car shows. I was leaned all the way in my 993 packing things up and had some kid sneak up behind me (18 years old tops) and said that "his mom" is shopping for one of these. He asked "What size engine is in this one, an 8 cylinder?, is the engine in the back of this one?".
I had to struggle with not screaming "get away from me!".
I tried to be nice and said "all 911's have a flat 6 and this one is a 3.6 liter mounted in the rear" and left quickly.

OT-Pat is your luggage rack chrome or silver? Any close ups?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

My car is in the hospital getting front disc brakes installed,rear axle bushings,clutch cable replaced, all cables underneath getting rubber seals and oil change to Porsche Classic oil.

Luggage rack is chrome and came with car. Pics when I get it back.....hopefully end of week. Hopefully. I miss driving it.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Here's your luggage rack
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Is it a real Porsche?