Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Stiffened Engine Mount Upgrade | FUNCTION-FIRST Performance

ENGINE MOUNT UPGRADE

We are excited to announce our new product/service for Upgrading your existing OEM engine mounts! This is one of the best and least expensive handling modifications you can make to improve your Porsche driving experience, and they work nicely in tandem with our Transmission Mount Insert. At least one other member has been testing and using this Engine Mount Upgrade for a while now, so perhaps he can chime in with his impressions...

As we've all read over and over again, the OEM engine mounts are a wear item and need replacing after only a couple years of use, due to their rapid deformation. The weakened mounts lead to a loose feeling chassis, imprecise handling, and numb shifter feel. Yet, even new OEM mounts exhibit too much flex to extract maximum performance from your Porsche.

Enter the FUNCTION-FIRST Performance Engine Mount Upgrade.

We modify your existing OEM engine mounts by gutting and draining their dampening hydraulic fluid, placing them in a jig to restore each mount to its original dimensionality, and filling all the voids, top and bottom, with a carefully selected durable urethane. The result is a rejuvenated and stiffer performance oriented setup, akin to a semi-solid mount – for a fraction of the price. This solution does not alter any structural component of the mount and adds only minimal NVH to preserve a streetable ride.

By limiting undesirable drivetrain movement, you will be rewarded with precise turn-in, planted handling, reduced weight transfer, minimized wheel hop, and direct and confident shifts.

Ordering Options:
1. CORE EXCHANGE - we send you Upgraded Mounts and you return your existing OEM mounts with the included (domestic only) shipping return label and box
2. OUTRIGHT BUY- we send you Upgraded Mounts and you keep your existing OEM mounts
3. MODIFY YOURS - send us your existing OEM mounts and we'll Upgrade those (buyer responsible for shipping to us; 1 week turn-around)

Please click here for more information and to order!

Please contact for the latest pricing

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.

Last edited by Function-First; 05-24-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How do they compare to OEM GT3Rs, RSS and WEVO?
How much stiffer than OEM C2 are they and how much noise / vibration is transmitted using these?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:28 PM
bretm
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool. Engine mounts are on my to do list for this Spring and I've been deliberating between the different options.

Where in NJ are you guys located?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
How do they compare to OEM GT3Rs, RSS and WEVO?
How much stiffer than OEM C2 are they and how much noise / vibration is transmitted using these?
In terms of stiffness, I'm not sure to what degree these compare with semi-solid mounts, as we've never had the opportunity to try those out. The only thing I can say with certainty is that they are a major improvement over stock 996 engine mounts, especially those which are used and worn out. The added stiffness improves handling, shifting, and overall confidence with the car.

As to the degree of added vibration, it's difficult to quantify, but it's certainly bearable - I use them on my daily driven 996 C2. Because the engine mounts are all the way in the back of the chassis, the NVH is not very intrusive into the cabin.

Originally Posted by bretm
Cool. Engine mounts are on my to do list for this Spring and I've been deliberating between the different options.

Where in NJ are you guys located?
We're located in Northern NJ about a half hour outside NYC, but we don't yet have a commercial shop space. If you're in that area, feel free to PM me and let us know!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Hmmm, I'm very tempted!

Anyone else have these on their car and can provide feedback?
Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been the "secret" tester for the mounts and have been testing for ~6 months in various conditions.

A little background:
I originally bought OEM turbo mounts thinking they would be stiffer and also to replace my original mounts since the car had 120k on it. I found little to no difference when I switched to the turbo mounts having me conclude that the mounts could've been changed by the previous owner and/or the OEM turbo mounts have a more softer fluid/rubber compound compared to the OEM aftermarket replacement mounts everyone has raved about.
Having done diy motor mounts in the past, I was in the process of doing some for the 996 when I came across Function First having done some already after exchanging some technical messages. These prototypes were ready to go and I was willing to try them out.

Observations:
I've experienced the same typical observations of people that have swapped motor mounts but I think the degree might be amplified with these in terms of performance.
- Better and more precise shifting(almost like getting a new shifter or bushings)
- Better handling since there is better weight control(it is like getting new shocks to some degree)
- Better threshold braking as more controlled weight transfer allows you to better and effectively modulate the brakes

I've driven this in spirited and relaxed driving environments and in a wide temp range from 35-95deg F.

NVH was very minimal and not noticeable for me(YMMV) since I already had the GT3 coilovers and was used to some amount of roughness.
I would say NVH was more noticeable on first startup in cold weather(below 45 deg) but otherwise for me, was hardly noticeable.

For me the positives far outweigh any negatives that may exist and you have to remember, this is a performance part. I don't understand people that want to corner on rails yet have Cadillac ride(Magnetorheological shocks aside). You're always gonna have to compromise in some aspects in most situations imo.

To me this is a mod that should be right up there with the Fister D mod. And like the Fister D mod, I feel this represents a great value for the feeling it gives you. But unlike the Fister mod where it is 100% subjective, this mod actually exhibits tangible benefits in the way your car behaves.

And just like the Fister D mod, technically you can do this yourself but I don't know why anyone would want to go through the hassles and the time. For anyone that has worked with raw polyurethane, you know how messy things can get really fast.

This really should be one of your top 3 mods that you get done IMHO.

*Lastly, I don't think this mod is for everyone. For the casual cruiser in their 996 with stock suspension that drives casually and prefers maximimum comfort and refinement over everything else, this isn't for you.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way affiliated with Function First and they have not paid me to write this review. This is an objective 3rd party review from a fellow gearhead with no other interests other than to see the same smile of satisfaction from other gearheads.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:54 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great review. Thanks!

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2014, 04:51 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,461 Posts

What color is fastest?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am partial to red, as displayed in the engine bay picture of my car in the original post
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 PM
bretm
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
...To me this is a mod that should be right up there with the Fister D mod. And like the Fister D mod, I feel this represents a great value for the feeling it gives you. But unlike the Fister mod where it is 100% subjective, this mod actually exhibits tangible benefits in the way your car behaves...
Funny, motor mounts and the Fister mod are the top of my to do list when the Spring weather finally arrives. I might actually do the Fister myself, but making mounts you couldn't pay me to do. Way too much of a pain.

Anyway, in a couple months these bad boys are going in my '99. I'm not crazy about poly suspension bushings, but for engine and trans mounts they've been great so far as I've experienced. I hope black are almost as fast as red.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We would love to hear some more reviews from those of you that have installed these!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stiffened Engine Mount Upgrade | FUNCTION-FIRST Performance