Summer tires and ambient temperature - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer tires and ambient temperature

Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 PM
  #1  
marc abrams
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,120
Default Summer tires and ambient temperature

At what temperature do summer tires start to lose grip and what temperature can summer tires be damage from the cold. I've search this subject and the answers are a bit vague. I'm thinking about getting BF Goodrich comp-2 summer tires. I don't drive in the snow but I do use my car in cold weather. Thanks, Marc.
marc abrams is offline  
Old 05-16-2017, 06:11 PM
  #2  
[email protected]
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
damon@tirerack.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 2,728
Default

About 45 degrees is the point where most summer compounds begin to lose grip, with temps below freezing being a pretty sharp drop off. Temps in the twenties is where you could see damage from cracking if not cared for. Most tires will survive being stored in cold temps, as long as they are not impacted or dropped from trucks. You can read up here.
damon@tirerack.com is offline  
Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 PM
  #3  
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 18,465
Default

Tires losing grip in the summer is more about proper tire pressures than actual ambient temps.

Dry quality air in your tires is also very important.

In very general terms, you want to keep the tires under 40 psi hot.

This is very tire dependent. And use dependent (weekend run vs auto-cross vs track weekend).

Need more info from you to better guide you.
LexVan is online now  
Old 05-16-2017, 06:38 PM
  #4  
marc abrams
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,120
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
About 45 degrees is the point where most summer compounds begin to lose grip, with temps below freezing being a pretty sharp drop off. Temps in the twenties is where you could see damage from cracking if not cared for. Most tires will survive being stored in cold temps, as long as they are not impacted or dropped from trucks. You can read up here.
Perfect!! I will be ordering Tires from you in a week or two.
marc abrams is offline  
Old 05-16-2017, 06:49 PM
  #5  
marc abrams
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,120
Default

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
Tires losing grip in the summer is more about proper tire pressures than actual ambient temps.

Dry quality air in your tires is also very important.

In very general terms, you want to keep the tires under 40 psi hot.

This is very tire dependent. And use dependent (weekend run vs auto-cross vs track weekend).

Need more info from you to better guide you.
Thanks. All seasons are my best choice.
marc abrams is offline  
Old 09-14-2017, 02:27 PM
  #6  
Brian C in Az
User
 
Brian C in Az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Apache Junction, Az
Posts: 233
Default

Originally Posted by marc abrams View Post
At what temperature do summer tires start to lose grip and what temperature can summer tires be damage from the cold. .... Thanks, Marc.
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
About 45 degrees is the point where most summer compounds begin to lose grip, with temps below freezing being a pretty sharp drop off. Temps in the twenties is where you could see damage from cracking if not cared for...
High Performance summer tires start to lose grip below 65˚. The manufacturers recommend not driving on them below 45˚ due to cold weather damage. My Bridgestone RE-71r tires would flat spot every night if the temps dipped to 49˚. They required 12 miles of driving to soften enough to be round again.

I've never seen anyone say it is ok to drive below 40˚ on summer performance tires.

Damon's "facts" are wrong.
Go to the manufacturer's website of the tires that you are using.
Brian C in Az is offline  
Old 09-14-2017, 09:57 PM
  #7  
RSQ911
User
 
RSQ911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 115
Default

Originally Posted by marc abrams View Post
At what temperature do summer tires start to lose grip and what temperature can summer tires be damage from the cold. I've search this subject and the answers are a bit vague. I'm thinking about getting BF Goodrich comp-2 summer tires. I don't drive in the snow but I do use my car in cold weather. Thanks, Marc.
I live in Illinois and had Michelin super sports, but I had two problems with them in the cold: traction and cracking.

Switched to Yokohama Advan Sport A/S and could not be happier! Great all around all season tire. And the price!!!!
RSQ911 is offline  
Old 02-09-2018, 08:30 PM
  #8  
Brian in Tucson
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 124
Default

Originally Posted by marc abrams View Post
Thanks. All seasons are my best choice.
Looks like it doesn't it? I didn't realize this before this week. I bought a set of Riken Raptor ZR, summer tires because I live in Tucson. Almost every morning is in the 40's in winter, tho. Got me worried.

Rikens from Tire Rack are a smokin deal! Get good reviews, too. And made by a subsidiary of Michelin.
Brian in Tucson is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summer tires and ambient temperature


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: