Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer tires and ambient temperature

Old 05-16-2017, 02:38 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Summer tires and ambient temperature

At what temperature do summer tires start to lose grip and what temperature can summer tires be damage from the cold. I've search this subject and the answers are a bit vague. I'm thinking about getting BF Goodrich comp-2 summer tires. I don't drive in the snow but I do use my car in cold weather. Thanks, Marc.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:11 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

About 45 degrees is the point where most summer compounds begin to lose grip, with temps below freezing being a pretty sharp drop off. Temps in the twenties is where you could see damage from cracking if not cared for. Most tires will survive being stored in cold temps, as long as they are not impacted or dropped from trucks. You can read up here.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Tires losing grip in the summer is more about proper tire pressures than actual ambient temps.

Dry quality air in your tires is also very important.

In very general terms, you want to keep the tires under 40 psi hot.

This is very tire dependent. And use dependent (weekend run vs auto-cross vs track weekend).

Need more info from you to better guide you.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:38 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
About 45 degrees is the point where most summer compounds begin to lose grip, with temps below freezing being a pretty sharp drop off. Temps in the twenties is where you could see damage from cracking if not cared for. Most tires will survive being stored in cold temps, as long as they are not impacted or dropped from trucks. You can read up here.
Perfect!! I will be ordering Tires from you in a week or two.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:49 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
Tires losing grip in the summer is more about proper tire pressures than actual ambient temps.

Dry quality air in your tires is also very important.

In very general terms, you want to keep the tires under 40 psi hot.

This is very tire dependent. And use dependent (weekend run vs auto-cross vs track weekend).

Need more info from you to better guide you.
Thanks. All seasons are my best choice.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marc abrams
At what temperature do summer tires start to lose grip and what temperature can summer tires be damage from the cold. .... Thanks, Marc.
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
About 45 degrees is the point where most summer compounds begin to lose grip, with temps below freezing being a pretty sharp drop off. Temps in the twenties is where you could see damage from cracking if not cared for...
High Performance summer tires start to lose grip below 65˚. The manufacturers recommend not driving on them below 45˚ due to cold weather damage. My Bridgestone RE-71r tires would flat spot every night if the temps dipped to 49˚. They required 12 miles of driving to soften enough to be round again.

I've never seen anyone say it is ok to drive below 40˚ on summer performance tires.

Damon's "facts" are wrong.
Go to the manufacturer's website of the tires that you are using.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:57 PM
RSQ911
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

At what temperature do summer tires start to lose grip and what temperature can summer tires be damage from the cold. I've search this subject and the answers are a bit vague. I'm thinking about getting BF Goodrich comp-2 summer tires. I don't drive in the snow but I do use my car in cold weather. Thanks, Marc.
I live in Illinois and had Michelin super sports, but I had two problems with them in the cold: traction and cracking.

Switched to Yokohama Advan Sport A/S and could not be happier! Great all around all season tire. And the price!!!!
Old 02-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks. All seasons are my best choice.
Looks like it doesn't it? I didn't realize this before this week. I bought a set of Riken Raptor ZR, summer tires because I live in Tucson. Almost every morning is in the 40's in winter, tho. Got me worried.

Rikens from Tire Rack are a smokin deal! Get good reviews, too. And made by a subsidiary of Michelin.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:56 PM
falomar
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, I track my car anywhere from 1-3 times a month in winter only (9-17 degrees celsius) I run perelli P zero on my 992 GT3, what temps do I want them hot and how many laps for the warm up? also lap times for my car range from 1.40 -1.50, how many laps can I do without overheating my tire or start to lose time? thank you and any track tips would be appreciated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summer tires and ambient temperature