Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire pressures.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:51 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire pressures.

I found this thread from 2013:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-pressure.html

but, it seems to fly in the face of every other discussion I've had on track for virtually any DE tire. The recommended pressures in that thread are much higher than I would expect. I am going to the Glen on Tuesday with my Cayman R and trying MPSS for the first time. Previously I used Yoko ADVANs and ran them 32 psi hot. I will listen to the advice from Speed Sport Tuning, but I'm curious as to what the current thinking and actual usage is amongst Rennlisters still using this tire.

So for those that run MPSS on track, what tire pressures have you found optimal?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:48 AM
cartwheel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MPSS is a really great tire imho. On my 964 they really lose their bite when they get in the upper 30's. For me I find they work best around 33-35psi hot (fr/r). I start at 30 cold and bleed air as they warm up after a few laps. I've tried them on the street with the rears up over 40psi and 1) they ride like rocks and 2) they grip like Teflon (ok- exaggeration but they definitely were not happy). I can't imagine running pressures over 40 on the track. Good luck and YMMV!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:11 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cartwheel
The MPSS is a really great tire imho. On my 964 they really lose their bite when they get in the upper 30's. For me I find they work best around 33-35psi hot (fr/r). I start at 30 cold and bleed air as they warm up after a few laps. I've tried them on the street with the rears up over 40psi and 1) they ride like rocks and 2) they grip like Teflon (ok- exaggeration but they definitely were not happy). I can't imagine running pressures over 40 on the track. Good luck and YMMV!
In my 3rd session at Lime Rock I targeted 32 front and 35 rear when hot based on the recommendation of Spencer, the owner of Speed Sport Tuning in Danbury, CT. He is one of the Michelin gurus in our area. To me that felt optimal and much better than the 37 square I was running at the Glen.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:27 AM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran last Friday on the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (replacement for MPSS) at Autobahn CC near Chicago.

It was about 80 degrees, started at 27 cold, and the temps got up to 33-34 hot. It was my first time on track in the R, but in my last session I adjusted the temps to 33 hot all around and it felt wonderful. The edges showed no rolling over onto the sidewall, although I was only 7 or 8/10ths getting to know the car. I'll have a more feedback next time out in a few weeks, but looking to hear your notes over time as well!

I also found this on Motor Trends Best Driver's Car 2011 competition, where it says track pressures for the R are at 35psi: http://www.motortrend.com/news/2011-...t-drivers-car/

Old 07-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm at 32F and 30R in my Cayman based on my alignment and tire temperature measurements.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire pressures.