Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Front OEM Wheels Fit Rear of 991.1 (for snows)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 06:16 AM
gar777
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Front OEM Wheels Fit Rear of 991.1 (for snows)?

I'm looking to create an effective winter wheel\tire setup for my 2014 991.

20x11" wheels with 305/30R20 tires sure look sexy -- and are great for dry traction -- but are not ideal for winter\snow traction.

On prior cars (BMWs), I replaced the staggered wheel setup for a square set up by using 4 front wheels when mounting snows because this: (1) gave me a narrower wheel\tire = better snow traction and (2) allowed me to use the same tire sizes at all 4 corners, which allowed 4-corner rotation (when tires weren't directional)

I'd like to see if I could use a square winter set up on my 2014 911, using the front OEM wheels = 19x8.5" (or aftermarket wheels in similar width and offset) on all 4 corners with tires in size 225/45R19 (~27" tall) or 235/40R19 (~26.4" tall).

Using www.willtheyfit.com - it seems like the fronts would fit the rear wheel opening, although they'd stick out ~0.5" less than the stock rears and I'd lose ~2" of the width from the inner side. I think this will look OK (not the sexiest but OK for winter). I'd also lose the tire diameter differential (OEM rears are ~0.6" taller than fronts) but I think this would probably be OK for lower speed\less aero winter driving.

Anyone do this before?

What do you think?
Old 12-29-2016, 07:59 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

No...I haven't done or seen this set-up, probably wouldn't do it whether it technically fits or not.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:46 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Older Boxsters yes, but I have never put the same size all the way around on a 911. Even if they fit, I'd be concerned the dry performance would be thrown off quite a bit by having a tire 2+" skinnier back there. There's also close to a thousand pounds of load capacity difference between the front and rear sized tires. That's not a good idea on a rear engine car.

Could you do it? Probably, as long as you had sufficient load capacity for it to be safe. But, I suspect it would handle terribly. Unless you added adapters (25+mm) it would also look ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Will Front OEM Wheels Fit Rear of 991.1 (for snows)?