Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitors

OK, dumb question for all. I recently purchased spare set of wheels and intend to mount new tires for track use only. I am trying to determine if I must have TPMs on the wheels during mounting versus just valve stems.

If this requires computer reprogramming from dealership, then will be pain in butt to move tires back and forth. What is the deal? Also, any recommendations for TPM sources and how long should they operate satisfactorily?
2008 911 Turbo
Thanks,
Old 12-24-2015, 04:18 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

They're track tires and wheels? You don't install tpm's. You get an idiot light when you mount the wheels, and who cares since its the track and you bring a tire gauge. When you go back to your street wheels, you push reset. That's what we always did when we put track wheels on our 08 cayman.

Last edited by mhm993; 12-24-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:53 AM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
They're track tires and wheels? You don't install tpm's. You get an idiot light when you mount the wheels, and who cares since its the track and you bring a tire gauge. When you go back to your street wheels, you push reset. That's what we always did when we put track wheels on our 08 cayman.
I respectfully disagree with this. Tire pressures in the paddock are one thing but the dynamic monitoring with

TPMS is priceless. Real world: I was at Limerock, just going through west bend before the downhill when my TPMS gave me an alert - low pressure left front. Lifted on the downhill and pulled off line without any drama, pitted. By the time I was in the paddock, left front was completely flat. 1/4 inch hole from fresh puncture.

If not for the TPMS, I would have been on throttle down the hill setting up for the right hand into the main straight. Not where I want a left front tire with 10 psi!!!

TPMS is great tech and the system is already there. Just get aftermarket sensors and have them installed in your track wheels. As long as you get the correct sensors, you can easiiy reset via the onboard computer when you swap wheel sets.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Do you have recommended source or manufacturer of reliable aftermarket sensors?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:46 AM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Got these in 2014 from OE wheels. Mounted on my track wheels. So far, so good.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...-Sensors-SET_3
Old 01-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

I just bought same ones, but for 2008. Will spray paint them gunmetal color first prior to mounting to match the new wheels.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:49 PM
BigChallah
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dumber question - how do I determine if I have a TPMS? (997 c2s)
Old 01-09-2016, 08:14 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BigChallah
Just let the air out of one of your tires and if you have TPMS, it will alert you.

Nah....don't do that. Just play with the computer stalk on the left side of the steering column to run through the onboard diagnostics (like checking the oil level, time/temp, etc..) TPMS shows as a stick figure car with 4 wheels and numbers on the lower part of the tach. (Image not my car but same as my GT3)

Old 01-15-2016, 04:20 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BigChallah
If you have TPMS, you will have a metal valve stem on a 997. If rubber, there is usually no sensor.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:11 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, here is my tale of wow. My TPMS (on a 2010 GT3) indicates a low tire pressure. It is not. Shows the correct TP on the 'tree' and I have checked it with a mechanical gauge. All good. I have reset it several times but the dash shows the "!" sign and 'Low tire pressure' warning. I have reset both for winter and summer tires. Same result. Clearly the sending unit is good as it resisters the correct tire pressure. Wont reset the warnings. Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2016, 11:29 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by promocop
So, here is my tale of wow. My TPMS (on a 2010 GT3) indicates a low tire pressure. It is not. Shows the correct TP on the 'tree' and I have checked it with a mechanical gauge. All good. I have reset it several times but the dash shows the "!" sign and 'Low tire pressure' warning. I have reset both for winter and summer tires. Same result. Clearly the sending unit is good as it resisters the correct tire pressure. Wont reset the warnings. Any ideas?
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and the reconnecting? If that doesnt work, try someone with a duramtric or porsche dealer.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitors