Michelin PS2 vs PS2 N3 vs PSS

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 PM
IrocMan
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Michelin PS2 vs PS2 N3 vs PSS

Hi folks,
Time to change these tires again and since I've been happy with the PS2 N3 I'm thinking I should just renew the set.
I do mostly road and a bit of DE, little wet as living in the Bay Area.

That said I can read contradictions about the N3s and PSS. I'm not sure which is more appropriate for my application.

Can someone who actually knows about tires enlighten me and explain what basically the pros and cons for these Michelin Pilot tires are?

Thanks!!
Old 09-23-2015, 03:58 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Simply put, the PS2s are the better dry tire. The PSS are the better all round tire, since it's better in the wet, and costs less.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:57 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Lex's answer is pretty simple, but sums up the general public's interest in the tires......PS2's have a bit better ultimate dry grip, with the N spec version reinforced further (and possibly compounded differently) to give the tire a bit better cornering traction. The N spec is a bit more "tuned" to the cornering capability of the car by Michelin in conjunction with Porsche engineering than the non N-spec version. That said, Super Sports have become more popular with us since they offer all of the "real world" performance of the PS2, while having a better ride and are generally better priced. On our website wet cornering, dry traction, cornering stability, and steering response are all rated outstanding for both tires.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

My personal experience after three cars simultaneously on MPS2's N spec each with 2 sets and recently switching one of those cars to the SS's is the SS's are better in most every way and the PS2's aren't worth spending up for. The problem is the SS's don't come in all the sizes I need for some cars. Otherwise I would switch them all over to the SS's. Prior to this the MPS2's were my favorite street tire.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:50 AM
IrocMan
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks folks, That's aligned with what I thought. Can the Super Sports match the N3 on dry cornering though? For a car that does 70% freeway, 20% attack in mountain roads and less than 10% track the PSS sound like a better deal. I'll give them a try. So far I've always used the N3's and love them. There's also the possibility that I'll use my center lock wheels with R compounds for track days then I'd go with the super sports as they're lower cost.

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 vs PS2 N3 vs PSS