Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I want to ship some wheels with tires mounted...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:58 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts
Question So I want to ship some wheels with tires mounted...

Across country from CA to GA.

UPS and FedEx appear to be the only game in town - and by their prices it is apparent that they know this at nearly $100 apiece.

I did a quick search here to see if this question had already been asked and didn't see anything that came close.

So - what is the best way to ship wheels and tires? By best I mean low cost and minimal chance for loss or damage.

What say the rennlist?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:13 AM
btwyx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried tying two wheels together? One package of two might not be twice the price of one wheel. Tirerack ships their wheel/tire packages like that. $100 doesn't sound too bad to me.

Someone's also suggested Greyhound (the bus company) as a cheap way of getting stuff around the country, I've never tried.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:58 AM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he means there is a $100 difference in price between UPS and FedEx. Greyhound has some restriction (below) but is generally cheaper. However, I costed out LA to Atlanta/max dimension 30"/50 Lbs, and it was $79 per wheel. I would suspect that the other two carries are cheaper.

Greyhound Size, Weight and Value Limitations

Size: The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that we can accommodate are 82" L x 47" W x 30" H.

Weight: No single Package will be accepted for transportation that exceeds one hundred (100) pounds in actual weight. Baggage in Express Service shipments may not exceed 75 pounds per piece.

Value: No single shipment (Prepaid, Collect, or C.O.D.) will be accepted for transportation that exceeds one thousand dollars ($1,000) in actual or released value. With the exception of Baggage in Express Service shipments, excess value charges will be assessed for any shipment with value greater than one hundred dollars ($100). Baggage in Express Service shipments will be assessed excess value charges for any shipment with value greater than two hundred, fifty dollars ($250).

Excess Value Charges: Excess Value Charges will be assessed dependent upon the value declared in writing by the shipper or agreed upon in writing as the released value of the property, as found below.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Great info guys - thanks!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:42 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I only use usps as it's the cheapest route for me. I haven't had any issues so far (knock on wood).
Old 03-17-2015, 05:19 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by btwyx
Have you tried tying two wheels together? One package of two might not be twice the price of one wheel. Tirerack ships their wheel/tire packages like that.......
We ship tires banded together if the combined weight is less than 75 pounds, which is UPS' cutoff. If they weigh more than that we will ship individually, as we do mounted wheels and tires.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:53 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Try Freightquote.com, I have shipped mounted tires and wheels through them twice. Each time was the 4 tires stacked up on a small pallet, strapped down and shrinkwrapped. I picked them up at the depot, and it was $150 and $125 the two times. The shipper has to do the prep, and carry it down to the shipping depot, and then the receiver just goes to the receiving depot when they come in. They offer home delivery but it usually adds around $60 or so.

If you can get access to a small pallet, straps and shrinkwrap, I think that could be a viable option.

Steve
Old 03-30-2015, 03:16 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always use UPS and bind them together with cardboard sandwiched between. Usually $100 or so to ship the whole set.

There's always Greyhound . . .
Old 03-31-2015, 07:21 PM
WheelEnhancement
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have some good recommendations here and I might add that you should consider insurance.

From a packaging standpoint, if you have them in individual boxes make sure you have a piece of soft foam to cover the face to avoid scratching, then of course pad the face to avoid dents.

We use UPS for the majority of our domestic shipping. FedEx is great as well.

One final recommendation. Take pictures of your packages before you ship them. Since you don't have a consistent package "system" this could be valuable if you needed to show the packaging in the event of a claim.

Guy
Old 04-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks to all for the great suggestions.

The seller ended up removing the tires and I purchased the wheels alone.

The seller wrapped the face of the wheel with a used towel, then taped a piece of cardboard over the towel. The wheels were packaged face to face and placed 2 to a box from Home Depot. Wheels were insured and shipped via FedEx.

Wheels arrived intact with absolutely no damage.

Quick Reply: So I want to ship some wheels with tires mounted...