Hoosier "rookie" question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hoosier "rookie" question

I'm going to be putting my first set of Hoosiers on my 944 TurboS this weekend at the Tracquest event at Mid-Ohio and am a bit unsure of how to proceed regarding the Initial Run Recommendations & Cure time info I found on their web site (see below). The car will only be run at DE events for the life of this set of tires (and probably several future sets as well).

As I read this, I can/should run the Hoosiers for my first run of the weekend and then should put them away for the rest of the weekend - is this correct?

What's the "downside" if I choose to continue running them throughout the weekend?

Thanks much.

The initial run
The first laps for the tire are critical for setting up the durability and competitive life. The first session should consist of 10-15 minutes of running. The early part of the session should be run at an easy pace, with the speed gradually increased until the end of the session. The final lap should be run at the fastest possible speed. The intent is to achieve maximum tire temp on the last lap. At this point the car should be brought in and the tires allowed to cool at a normal rate. Optimally, the tires should be removed or have the car jacked up during this cooling.
During this process, the inflation pressure should be 3-5 psi higher than you would normally use. The best progression would have the driver taking 4-7 laps to accomplish this break-in. Each lap should be approximately 7-10 seconds a lap faster than the previous lap. The goal is to have the tire temp as high as possible on the last lap without "shocking" the tire during the warm up laps. In essence, no wheelspin, late braking, or sliding. The last lap should be at, or very close, the maximum possible.

"Cure" Time
After completing the above, the length of time the tire is allowed to set is possibly more important. The barest minimum for this process to be beneficial is 24 hours. (Not "the next day"). Any less than this is a waste of time. The best situation would allow a week before using the tire again.
Proper tire management is a difficult process. To accomplish this almost always requires a second set of wheels. The payoff is greatly increased competitive tire life.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Larry Weinstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,

Unfortunately that's right. But why tire yourself out and get yourself grubby changing them after the first set? Why not change them before your last set. You'll want to run slower since you'll be tired and you won't be pushing as hard then anyway.
Also, figure that's one less new variable to be concerned with with that new suspension.

Larry
Old 08-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry,

Thanks for the help - it's so convenient now to have a set of slightly used Hoosiers to use as you indicated above.

I'll get back to you about the trailer.

Thanks again.

Rick
Old 08-31-2003, 07:46 AM
951 sm
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wonder if you couldn't take the car to a parking lot, and do a skidpad/figure 8 at gradually higher speeds.

Quick Reply: Hoosier "rookie" question