Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Refinishing Question

Old 04-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Refinishing Question

Picked up a used set of Carrera Sport wheels. The lips on a couple have had some refinishing done in the past and are painted in those spots versus the slight grooved and brushed metal look of the factory finish. What sort of results can I expect from a refinish on the lips? Can a good wheel shop restore the factory finish (without it being a fortune)? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:56 PM
cbsoccer12
Intermediate

because the lip on those wheels is machined not polished you cant match the finish. your best bet is to strip the whole and paint color of your choice or have them stripped and polished.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Originally Posted by cbsoccer12
because the lip on those wheels is machined not polished you cant match the finish. your best bet is to strip the whole and paint color of your choice or have them stripped and polished.
Thanks. I surrendered this morning and dropped the two wheels for a full refinish. Had the lips remachined a couple weeks ago and they turned out pretty good, but I couldn't get a clear coat to bind well. So, no choice but a full refinish to get the lips protected with a clear coat. Hopefully the shop gets it right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Refinishing Question