Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center lock wheel alignment tool source?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:20 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Center lock wheel alignment tool source?

Are there alternatives to the 3R Racing alignment tool? An essential piece for dis-mounting and mounting center lock wheels, but the only one I have found is the anodized 3R tool. It is a beautiful piece, but at $380 it is very expensive. It would seem that Porsche would include at least a plastic piece to align wheels fro mounting. Have not gotten my TTS yet, just want to be prepared. Hopefully a two/three piece 48" torque wrench will suffice without having to get a single piece 48" breaker bar too. Suggestions welcome. Thanks. Just need to have the right tools in the event that I am nowhere near a dealer and need to plug a tire to get me home if there is a flat.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Hi

Recently, bought a '12 GTS. I see no other replies here, but did you find an alternative?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No. I bought the 3R Racing wheel alignment tool. I have been told that it is not necessary by another TTS owner, as there are guides on the hub, but I have not taken a wheel off yet to experiment. Seems to me a lot easier and safer to use the mount/dismount tool to reduce the risk of damaging the ceramic composite rotors. There are less than 2 inches of clearance between the rotor and the wheel barrel on the fronts. If I had iron rotors I would not have gotten the 3R piece. I also got the Precision Instruments 200-600 ft. lb torque wrench.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Thx. I bought a used OEM breaker bar and the PI torque wrench. I know the aluminum guides for the standard wheel were useful. I'll hold off on the centering tool unless I find I have a problem if/when I try to take off a wheel.

Quick Reply: Center lock wheel alignment tool source?