Sponsored by:

Wheel size info reqd

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 04:10 PM
flatfourfanatics
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wheel size info reqd

Hi all,new to this site,I hope you'll treat me kindly and help me out.
I'm a big VW enthusiast,currently building a 1962 Microbus,I'm in the process of fitting 944 rear suspension arms to the van,complete with brakes,At present the wheels I am using are 16x7 Teledials,these fit with all the planned mods but are only in use because they are all I have,As soon as I can I would like to replace them with 15x6s or 15x7s,in either Fuch style,maybe Cookie Cutters,or if I can find Read:afford then perhaps some Gas Burners.With the current wheels I just have about 20mm between the back arch of the bus and the tyre,The question is how do Teledials compare in offset with the other style wheels I have mentioned,I cannot reasonably have the tyrewall move outwards by any more than 12mm,maybe 15 at a push.I don't want to continue with the current planned mods only to find that all the other wheels will be touching the arches.
I hope this makes sense,all info really gratefully rec'd.Thanks Andy.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:22 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well call them phone dials, but there are two types.

early offset and late offset.
The early offset Phonedials are the same as the fuchs and cookie cutters. The later wheels are closer in to the car.

Early offset = 23.mm
Late offset = 52.3

Here is webpage with more details

<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/WheelsFAQ-StockSizes.html" target="_blank">Danno's Wheel Size Chart</a>

Also,
The 944 steel rear suspension has a spacer. That spacer is a factory standard part.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:01 PM
flatfourfanatics
2nd Gear

OK thanks for that,can you help me further,I have the early alloy rear A arms,these are nice and I want to use them,the hubs are however quite far out towards the wheelarches,I'm assuming from the info you've given me that the 16x7 phonedials are 52.3mm offset,I also have some 15x7 phonedials,23.3mm,I guess.does this mean that if i fit them they will sit further in towards the centre of the vehicle or further out?
Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The early wheels sit farther out. The later offset one sit closer inward. So it sould like have the best combo now. Early offset parts arms with late offset wheels.
Only other option is go with the early 944 steel rear arms and then remove the spacer. This will bring the wheels closer in. You'll have to do some measurments to figure how much and stuff, but is the only other option.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Dickran
AutoX

I have 15 inch Cookie Cutters if you are interested.

dickran@optonline.net

Quick Reply: Wheel size info reqd