Sponsored by:

Help with new wheels.

Old 03-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Peter_G
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help with new wheels.

After a lot of reading and researching, I cannot come up with a rational basis on which to evaluate the major brands of after market wheels. I am looking to buy forged, 3 piece wheels, with a set of track tires for use at DE events. Am I crazy, or do you just wind up buying the wheels that look best to you? Is there any qulaitative difference between Kinesis, Fikse, BBS, Forgeline etc. etc. I thought a primary reason for using after market wheels is the reduction you get in unsprung weight - but most wheel fabricators don't tell you how much their wheels weigh. I am very confused. Is there a consensus about the relative quality of the major after market wheel brands?

I am drving a 98 993 cab and am looking for a second set of wheels for use at DE events. My mechanic recommends sticking to the original wheel sizes, 7 and 9 x 17s and using track rubber. He can't or won't articulate why he thinks I should not move up to Plus One sizing. Anyone have any recommendations based on personla experience? Any help would be very mcuh appreciated. pguggenheimer@hmga.com
Old 03-14-2002, 03:36 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but most wheel fabricators don't tell you how much their wheels weigh. I am very confused.

That's because they're embarrassed that their wheels don't weigh that much less than equivalently sized one-piece cast wheels!

If you're going to be racing, then BBS is really the way to go. They use flush-mount hardware on their bolts & nuts for weight savings over the other guys. My 17x10.5/11.5" BBS Race wheels weigh 17/18lbs apiece. Which is about 4-5lbs lighter than Kinesis/Fiske/HRE 3-piece wheels of the same sizes:

Combined with lighter race-oriented rubber, the entire wheel/tire combo weighs less than my street wheels saving me 28lbs total!

Yes your mechanic is partially right. Race rubber makes a bigger difference than +1 wheel sizing. But going up to 18" will give you more options as far as racing rubber is concerned. And doing both will give you the maximum performance upgrade.
Old 03-14-2002, 06:43 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Peter:

I think the Kinesis and the Fikse in your current sizes will weigh about the same; - 17# and 19# for the 7" and 9" rims respectively. I have Kinesis in 17 X 8 (18#) and 17 X 9 (19#). The BBS and HRE forged rims will weigh a little less and cost significantly more. Lightness is expensive. So are special custom finishes. I looked at Kinesis and Fikse and prefered the anodized pewter centers of the Kinesis to the highly polished centers of the Fikse. Your preferences may vary. Another difference is that the 40 fastening bolts of the Kinesis face the outside, whereas the 20 fastening bolts of the Fikse face the inside. That's actually two differences. Kinesis are a little cheaper, but if you want to avoid the stigma of low price, get the BBS or HREs.

I stuck with my OE rim diameter (17") because 18" rims were never approved for the 964 by Porsche, and there were more DOT track tire size options in 17" diameter when I ordered my rims. But 18" rims are approved, even recommended by many, for the 993. The larger diameter wheels allow a shorter tire sidewall, which in turn provides a quicker turn-in due to less sidewall flex. Most people also like the looks of the larger diameter rims as well. The trade-offs are the the 18" rims and tires are more expensive, and they are more susceptible to pot-hole damage from the shorter sidewalls (keep that air pressure up).

I can't comment on the Fikses, but the Kineses are the best rims I've ever had. They are so well balanced that the guy balancing my wheels/tires had trouble finding any place to use his little weights.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:46 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts
I'll echo Jims comments and confirm that the weights are 18# for 8x17 and 19# for 9.5x17. Only difference is that I had my K5 centers powder painted black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with new wheels.