Sponsored by:

Heat Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 12:35 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts
Post Heat Cycling

I've heard varying reports about the merits of Tire Racks' heat cycling process. Does anyone know if this is indeed worth the extra cost for race tires (over doing it yourself- not always possible for me)? Is there any documented testing proving its merits? What temperature are the tires taken to? For how long?

I've always purchased tires from them and been happy with their service but my local supplier offers the same tire for less (not even including the shipping costs) and I'd like to support their business. My major reason for using tire rack was the heat cycling- and now I'm not so sure... any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:57 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good question, George. The same one many of us have apparently. I know people who swear by heat-cycling, those who never bother, and those who prefer to heat-cycle, but aren't bothered much if they don't get the chance. I don't know of any independent scientific testing of the benefits of heat-cycling independent of shaving. Tire Rack has tested, of course, but then they're also selling the service. Tire Rack recommended heat-cycling long before they offered the service, however.

I don't know what temperature they get them up to on the machine, or for how long. I asked, but they wouldn't give me the time or temperature. I had Tire Rack do my last set, but I just tried to get some heat into them for a few laps when I did my own. No need to get them up to the 160-180 degree happy zone, but I don't know what temperature is sufficient. I'd get them to about 120-130. I've also heat-cycled tires by driving them on the road. At someone's recommendation I drove the back road curves at a brisk pace for about 45 minutes to do one set. Before Tire Rack offered the service, I asked someone there about how to heat -cycle off the track. He suggested I drive on the interstate for 100 miles. He said that would provide sufficient tire heat to stir the rubber molecules, so I did another set that way. So I've heat cycled 4 different ways, but still don't know what difference it really makes. Of course, I also went through several sets before I ever heard of heat cycling.

Since you're getting a lower price locally (I haven't been able to find that where I live), I think I would support your local guy and just do the self heat-cycling on the road. Perhaps someone else will respond soon with a better idea of how much heat and for how long is needed to heat-cycle on the road. From what I've heard so far, what I reported I did on the road was sufficient.

Quick Reply: Heat Cycling