Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Wheel and Tire Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum-74/)
-   -   Wheel Lugs - how tight is tight (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum/68903-wheel-lugs-how-tight-is-tight.html)

kadeer 04-30-2002 01:58 AM

Wheel Lugs - how tight is tight

Hi guys,
I don't have a torque meter so when it say 130N,
what does it mean on hand pressure.
I tightened as much as I can by hand.

Should I have stood on the breaker to tightened more. I wiegh 145 lbs.

-Kadeer

ked 04-30-2002 05:19 AM

No way to tell w/ any accuracy - & accuracy is what you are after. Everyone's hand yields different pressure. Buy a torque wrench, you can get a decent one for $50-100, good for a lifetime w/ plenty of uses (esp. on a Porsche). In the meantime, find a shop that will check them for you "while you watch" & see how close you were (or weren't!).

Viken 04-30-2002 11:25 AM

You may have over-tightened. Go get yourself a torque wrench. They are not that expensive.

Bill Gregory 04-30-2002 02:32 PM

After you buy a torque wrench, to maximize it's life, always reset it to zero after using it.

Matt 04-30-2002 02:59 PM

Kadeer, yes, it sounds as though you've probably overtightened them, as usually happens when a torque wrench isn't used.

Oh, and Bill's right about resetting to zero, the spring inside the wrench can take a set. I've seen him use his torque wrench plenty of times at the track, to excellent effect - (Hi, Bill - good event last week, eh?)

Matt

kadeer 04-30-2002 06:50 PM

Actually, Oringially when I took the wheel off, they were so tight that I could not even open the bolt with standing on them. Some local non porsche shop mounted tires for me.

I had to get a 300lb friend to step on, while I applied force.

In comparison, I did not make it that tight.

Any damage, if it is too tight?

-Kadeer

Bill Gregory 04-30-2002 09:00 PM

[quote]<strong>(Hi, Bill - good event last week, eh?)
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Last week was an Alfa Club event, with around a dozen+ Porsches. As usual, nicely run event, only one major incident when someone in an Alfa lifted at the bottom of the downhill. Hard to believe on Friday we had snow! Definitely white flakes, not nuclear fallout, thankfully didn't stick.

kadeer 05-01-2002 04:13 AM

Any of you guys ever use the 12V Electric Portable Impact Wrench To change wheels.
NON air compressor drills.
Plugs Directly into Your Cars Cigarette Lighter Socket- Up to 240 ft-lbs of Torque, they say.

Do they work? And how do you control the amount of torque?
-Kadeer

Jim Michaels 05-01-2002 08:03 PM

Yes, quite a few of us use them, but you'll still need a torque wrench to do the last part of the turn precisely. I have a 16v drill-driver from Sears (14 to 18v works similarly). Came with handy carrying case, 2 rechargable battery packs, a charger, and a few bits for $54 (on sale). You'll also need to buy the little adapter piece from the drill driver chuck to your lug nut socket. Speed, torque, and direction can be independently set. With the torque I have set (near maximum) the lug nut needs less than a half turn more with the torque wrench to reach 96 lb/ft. A single battery charge may do 16 or more wheel changes. Your results may vary.