Sponsored by:

New Kumho race tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 01:00 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Kumho race tires

Has anyone tried the old Kumhos and the new model? I pretty much tfinished off my Victoracers last weekend at the Streets of Willow, and I'm trying to decide between old Kumhos, new Kumhos, and Hoosiers.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:50 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,

I haven't run the new Kumhos (Ecsta V700's or something like that) but I had sets of 205/50 Victoracer V700's and Hoosier R3S03's for my 914 2.0.

No comparison in feel or ultimate grip. The Hoosier is about 3/4" wider and 2 lbs lighter than the Kumho (it has no steel in it.) It sticks like you wouldn't believe. I could not really break free my stock 2.0 with the Hoosiers on the big track (Willow) no matter what I did. Well, I didn't try anything really crazy! Even in turn 2, top of 4th gear, and turn 8 at top speed (OK, only 110-115 in this car) with nothing more to give and the thing just stuck like flypaper.

The Kumhos are awesome for dual-use street/track tires, and in fact that's what I used mine for. They are not scary in rain like I'd imagine the Hoosiers could be. And they're a lot cheaper ($115 vs $165). They feel a bit more "stable" subjectively to me, probably because they are heavier and have traditional multi-steel-belted construction.

It just depends what your goal is. I'd bet you could pick up a second or so with Hoosiers at SOW.

I happen to have set of Panasport Racing wheels + fresh Hoosiers for sale that I'll have at Dunkels next weekend, if you will be there. Another guy has first dibs, but if he flakes then they're fair game. BTW the 205/50 Hoosiers won't fit on stock 914 5.5" wide wheels...

Cheers,

Quick Reply: New Kumho race tires