Sponsored by:

S-02 vs. S-03 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 02:11 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question S-02 vs. S-03 ?

I will be changing the tires soon and being a S-02 fan, I would like to know if its worth trying the S-03. Anyone tried them both an can compare? BTW I "enjoy" driving when its wet so performance on wet is important to me.

Carlos
MY99 911 C4
Old 07-09-2001, 01:57 PM
Steve in SLO
Advanced

Carlos,
See the previous thread about S-03 Pole Positions--It's about all the information anyone has at this point.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:08 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Carlos,

Unless you want to get the original N-rated S-02s, I'd get the S-03 PP instead of the S-02 PP.

I just installed a set of S-03s on my heavily modified 944 S2. I'm running 225/45 and 255/40-17s on 7 and 9x17 rims.

I have about 400 miles on the tires and they are just now starting to feel good. I was hoping for less noise and less harshness than my previous Michelin MXX3s, but frankly, I can't say the S-03 is much better in these respects.. I actually think the S-03 has more harshness when hitting certain sharp impacts, but it's overall ride may be slightly better than the MXX3s, which were certainly not known for their supple ride. I think road noise is also slightly better, but not much. My car is not typical however since I have spherical suspension bushings front and rear and these transmit more road noise.

Steering feel and input are excellent with the S-03. My car almost feels go-cart like at times. The front end also tramlines less with the S-03 even though I upgraded the front tire size from 205 to 225. I think the wide center rib has a lot to do with this.

Due to the limited mileage I have on these tires I have not pushed them too hard. However, I can tell you that they make my car feel superbly balanced and the steering actually requires less effort than with the narrower MXX3s.

I have also not driven in the rain yet and hope I don't have to for another two months! Once the rainy season starts here I'll get plenty of time to test them. I do expect the S-03 to be quite good in the rain since it has the dual layer tread and wide open grooves to channel the water.

I think you will be very happy with them if you decide to buy a set. The 220 treadwear rating is a plus too.

Regards,
Old 07-11-2001, 08:15 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Thanx for the info guys!
Road noise and confort is not a problem with me, I have the harder and lower porsche sport suspension (I already had to repaint the front lip of the aerokit... looks good but its a pain) with the 18 inch wheels, so a bit more rough won´t matter. Handling is the most important issue, so I will go ahead and try the S-03.
Currently I have the stock Continental ContiSport (came with the car)which are pathetic. They are not too bad on wet, but then again its a 4WD with PSM so not a big merit, but on dry they start sqeeling too early like an oldsmobile and loose grip too early, way before the chasis-suspensions begin to awake.
Treadwear seems better than the S-02 so thats a plus since the S-02´s would only last me 6,000 miles on the rear on my BMW M3.

Carlos
996 C4
Old 07-12-2001, 11:31 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Carlos,

I currently have the S-02s (non-PP) on my car, so I have no personal experience with the S-03s.

However, the following link may prove useful, but I wouldn't take it as the "gospel":
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_s03_rd.html

Personally, I am still skeptical about the S-03 since its treadwear rating is now 220. Traditionally, higher treadwear ratings have meant harder rubber, which has negatively impacted dry handling and ride. Perhaps, technology has eliminated this trade-off, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Quick Reply: S-02 vs. S-03 ?