Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Wheel and Tire Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum-74/)
-   -   Aftermarket 17" wheels/tires rubbing problem (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum/68691-aftermarket-17-wheels-tires-rubbing-problem.html)

J-RAD 06-25-2001 11:57 AM

Aftermarket 17" wheels/tires rubbing problem

Do any of you have experience with aftermarket wheels and tires for a 911SC? I have an '82 that is set to what is generally considered european ride height (25 1/2" front/~25" rear). I bought Porsche replica wheels (Porsche Cup). They are 7.5x17 front and 9x17 rear. The tires are 205/50 17 front and 255/40 17 rear. The rears are rubbing slightly on occasion...fronts possibly as well (especially on a full tank with a larger passenger). The car DOES need an alignment. I would like to keep the wheels but I cannot have this rubbing issue. The offset is correct at 23mm and I am told by a couple of sources that the combo should fit. I did roll the front fenders and the rubbing may have stopped there. However, the rear is still an issue. The alignment may help a little but I doubt it will solve the problem. Has anyone else run into this issue? If so, how did you solve the problem? I am looking for any ideas. I do not want to raise the car if possible. I am considering a 245 width for the back...does this seem reasonable? Again, any feedback would be appreciated...I am posting this on the 911 board as well.

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: J-RAD ]

Bill Gregory 06-25-2001 02:15 PM

What camber are you running? If you're running Porsche US spec, it's (very roughly) zero degrees a few minutes on the front and "maybe" half a degree on the rear. On my 81 SC, I run 1.25 degrees negative camber on the front and around 1.5 negative on the rear. Although I have 16's, my front track wheels with 225/50x16's rubbed, however, after rolling the front fender lips, the rubbing stopped. So, that's why I asked what camber you're running today.

J-RAD 06-25-2001 03:09 PM

I am not certain of the current camber settings. However, I have an alignment scheduled for tomorrow. I plan to run negative 1 in the front and negative 1.5 in the rear. The ride height is euro spec. The rears are my major concern right now. After rolling the front fenders I believe the rubbing may have stopped ther as well. The back definately still rubs.

Thom Fitzpatrick 06-27-2001 06:25 PM

Heck, those are the *exact* same wheels I'm running on my widebody, albeit with a 1" spacer in the front and 3" in the rear.

In short, I think they may be a tad big for a normal SC

(ps: wanna buy a second set?)

J-RAD 06-27-2001 06:38 PM

Thanks, Thom but no...one set has already given me enough headaches to last a lifetime! ;)

I think I am going to end up raising the car about 1/2 an inch.

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: J-RAD ]