Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Wheel and Tire Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum-74/)
-   -   P Zero N3 / 91Y Spec/Performance Question (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum/68675-p-zero-n3-91y-spec-performance-question.html)

Don Plumley 06-03-2001 05:02 PM

P Zero N3 / 91Y Spec/Performance Question

Just put new rubber on my '87 Carrera (background details below). After conversation with the TireRack, decided on P Zero System Asimmetrico; 205/55 ZR16 N3 and 225/50 ZR16 N3. The N3 is a "Porsche Spec" tire.

After mounting the tires, I noticed that the rears say "N3", but the fronts say 91Y.

Is this a big deal? The Pirelli web site says one option is to use the Direzionale on the fronts and Asimmetrico on the rears - is it the Direzionale that is the N3 spec tire?

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Don
'87 Carrera
Das Zoom
don@plumley.org

Background: Car had Dunlop SP8000's with 11K miles. I hit something on the left rear inner sidewall, caused a pretty dramatic flat. So I've used this as a good excuse to upgrade the rubber. I'm certainly not XXXX XXXXX (you favorite CART or F1 driver name there), and the guys at TireRack recommended the S03 or the P Zero, the P Zero being a bit more forgivable. So I decided that an honest assesment of my driving (in)ability suggested I get a tire perhaps more suited to reality rather than dreams. I read about the N series Porsche Spec tires, and thought if it is good enough for Porsche, it's certainly good enough for me.

Ruf-Racer 06-03-2001 07:04 PM

I believe the 'N3'identifies the'version',or revision level of the tire.N3 says the tire is compliant to a certain set of performance specifications required by Porsche.The 91Y is probably the speed rating!I always ask my supplier to provide N2 version.I also insist the 'date codes'be similiar thus guaranteeing all four tires are from the same manufacturing batch.I use several sets each year for my open road racing hobby so I am extra cautious about buying tires.FWIW,I absolutely love the P Zero Asymetrico both front and rear on my Ruf Turbo!

Bill Z 06-05-2001 12:47 PM

I would not be surprised if it was the directionale that was N3. That was the case when I mounted N2's. Dir's on the front and asym's on the rear. If I were you I would look into it, as I had poor handling when things didn't match. Good luck. Bill Z

Don Plumley 06-05-2001 03:56 PM

Bill,

You are correct. I confirmed by talking to the Tire Rack and to the guys at America's Tire - Porsche-spec N3 PZero system is Asimmetrico rear, Direzionale Front. Idea is that the Assimmetrico is designed for rear engine/rear weight power delivery, the Direzionale solves a problem with wet handling and light front end. Or if you believe the marketing stuff....

Three Kudos for both Tire Rack and America's Tire - they are replacing the 91Y with the correct N3 tire. Now I just have to not drive my Carrera until the new rubber comes in :(