Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Wheel and Tire Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum-74/)
-   -   Tire Purchase and Mounting (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum/68674-tire-purchase-and-mounting.html)

Phil O 05-31-2001 01:50 AM

Tire Purchase and Mounting

I usually use Tire Rack for my tires but have had problems finding a good installer in South Orange County. Most I have tried don't know how to properly handle low profile tires on large rims. I've had rim damage as a result.

1) Any recommendations for a place in Orange County or Southern California who can properly mount tires?

2) Any recommendations on a tire place in Southern California who can beat Tire Rack's prices?

Thanks!

Ofer 05-31-2001 01:56 AM

I can guarantee that Wheel Enhancement in Culver City will properly handle your wheels. They are Porsche wheel experts.

Wheel Enhancement

[ 31-05-2001: Message edited by: Ofer ]

Viken 05-31-2001 12:44 PM

Yes, Wheel Enhancement would be a good choice.

I also have had good luck with Stokes Tire Pros in Santa Monica. You can have Tire Rack drop ship your tires there and they'll mount and balance them for you.

As to tire prices, you won't find anyone who will beat Tire Rack's prices but some are willing to match them.

SonnyV 06-01-2001 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Phil:
<STRONG>I usually use Tire Rack for my tires but have had problems finding a good installer in South Orange County. Most I have tried don't know how to properly handle low profile tires on large rims. I've had rim damage as a result.

1) Any recommendations for a place in Orange County or Southern California who can properly mount tires?

Thanks!</STRONG>
Phil,

If you want South Orange County location, try www.herg.net, Mark is the owner and my main mechanic. He does not do the mounting himself I don't think, but he has his own tire shop to have tires balanced and other things. He is in Lake Forest near Irvine.

One more location is Grand Prix in Newport beach, at the end of 55 Fwy. I've never used this place, but they are a high end wheels/tires shop.

Sonny

[ 01-06-2001: Message edited by: Sonny Vo C2 Turbo ]

Phil O 06-01-2001 08:03 PM

Thanks to all for your replies!

Garey Cooper 06-01-2001 08:13 PM

Phil; Hergeshiemer is a good wrench off of Bake Parkway in OC as someone stated. I know of a number of people who have used Grand Prix tire and all have given them good reviews. I myself have used Best Value Tire & Auto Center in Huntington Beach which is literally right around the corner from my house. They have a Hunter Tire balancing machine which I have been very impressed with and if I can help it I will use no other. The phone number is 714.848.2275.

Phil O 06-02-2001 03:57 AM

I called Hergeshiemer today. They don't mount tires but the did give me the name of the shop that they use. Apparently, they've tried a number of shops in the area but have had problems with scratched rims. Surprisingly, they have had success and currently use American Tires on Lake Forest and Aspan. They have a "touchless" European mounting device that does the trick. I'm going to visit them next week and if it looks good I'll give them a try and report back my findings.

Don Plumley 06-03-2001 04:57 PM

Hi,

I'm in the middle of a current transaction with America's Tire (Herg's recommendation). They matched Tire Rack's price, seemed to know their way around my rims. Jeremy is taking good care of me.

Drop me a note if you want specific details.

Don
'87 Carrera

don@plumley.org
Das Zoom

Don Plumley 06-08-2001 09:33 PM

Just wanted folks to know how great the America's Tire store in Lake Forest CA has treated me. There was a mix-up on the ordering of my PZero's (they got them from Tire Rack!), no questions - they swaped the fronts with a smile.

If you need tires (or mount and balance) I highly recommend them. No association, just a satisifed customer.

Don

Thom Fitzpatrick 06-19-2001 07:58 PM

Um, aren't "tire rack" and "americas tire" the same company?tires.com

Don Plumley 06-22-2001 12:19 PM

This is not my understanding. Based upon the link you provided, America's Tire and Discount Tire are owned by the same company (retail stores), and they seem to have an online store called discounttiredirect.com - not TireRack.com.

I dug further, and tires.com and the affiliated companies are headquartered in AZ under the Discount Tires name, TireRack is in IN. (see data from D&B):

Record 1
TIRE RACK INC, THE
777 W CHIPPEWA AVE
SOUTH BEND, IN 46614
(Headquarters location)

Record 1
DISCOUNT TIRE COMPANY
14631 N SCOTTSDALE RD
SCOTTSDALE, AZ 85254
(Headquarters location)

Please explain further.... :confused:

Don

Thom Fitzpatrick 06-22-2001 01:21 PM

When I bought my C2 replica wheels and tires from America's Tire, they *really* came from Tire Rack - in fact, there's a mention of them on the receipt somewhere.

Don Plumley 06-22-2001 01:42 PM

So did my PZero's - I purchased them from America's Tire, but they ordered them from TireRack. I understand they purchase some speciality tires from TireRack ($'s are great, availability is better than the distributors, I presume they get an additional discount), but they are separate companies.