Sponsored by:

Help.... Porsche Lug Locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 11:05 AM
rdorrell
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help.... Porsche Lug Locks

I recently purchased a 964 Widebody cab with 18" Chromed H&R 3.6 Turbo Wheels. The car came with the most unusual lug locks I had ever seen. The lock is a small "cone" that threads down onto the wheel stud and then the regular lug screws down on top. The appearence is great, because you can't tell it has locks. Now the problem.... the key to remove the lock broke on me. The key is a hollow shaft with the "male" part of the lock. With the lug removed, it slide over the stud to rest into the lock... next, a second threaded hollow shaft slides into the key and then threads onto the stud securing the lock in place. Now using your lug wrench you can remove the whole assembly.
I was told by a local wheel shop that it must be a "porsche" item because they had never seen anything like it. Porsche says "no" and they haven't seen anything like it. I've tried all the known lock companies... ie. Mcgaurd, Gorilla, etc. Has anyone seen such a lock???
I'll try and post a picture... but right now all I can do is describe it.

Thanks for any help-

Rob
Old 06-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Moose
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Not that this helps but as a last resort, Discount Tire charges $10 to "bust" the lock off. I would guess they either drill through the lock or use some sort of tool. That would force you to replace the stud.

Steve
993TT
Old 06-06-2003, 01:27 PM
993Power
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snap-on sells a UNIVERSAL Lug Lock key, i believe their is a total of 10 sockets and their reversible back and forth, I believe it costed him about $80-$90. My friend had used one on my car and worked fine.

chris
Old 06-06-2003, 11:01 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure exactly what you have, but many a time I have used a socket that was a little too small for the lug nut and hammered it on. Then just wrenched it off with a breaker bar.

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Help.... Porsche Lug Locks