Sponsored by:

Michelin vs ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 04:01 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Michelin vs ???

Are Michelin's worth the extra money or are Dunlop's, etc. the same tire at a cheaper price?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Short answer: There are usually Dunlops, Continentals, Yokohamas, etc that are as good as equivalent Michelins or better, at half the price.

Long answer: All depends on what sort of tire you're looking for. The tire brands do not appear to be very uniform, as even the "best" ones have good and bad models.

I'd suggest going to Tire Rack, figuring out which category you need, then entering the sizes you need and comparing the performance numbers and pricing on the different models available. Make sure you actually look at the different performance categories (Dry Traction, Wet Traction, Ride Noise, Treadwear, etc) to see how they different choices compare in the categories that matter to YOU, rather than just looking at the overall score that may include things you don't care about.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:08 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

I am looking at Michelin LTX M/S, but they are double the price of the others and I don't know if they are worth it? Would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those tires ranked/rated 3rd in Tire Rack's user ratings of all the Highway All-Season tires for light trucks (including vans, pickups, and SUVs). The top rated tire in that category is the Michelin LTX M/S2 (a close relative, but newer, I assume). The 2nd ranked tire is the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread, which is probably cheaper.

As JDS suggested, the Tire Rack website has the info you need to hone-in on the tire that best suits your needs and preferred compromises.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Not sure what size tires you're looking at but i've been using the Yokohama Geolanders on my F150 for the last three years and they're the best tires i've had on my truck since 1998 ...
Have a set of summers mounted on mags and a set of winters mounted on steel rims !

It's the law in Quebec,you must have winter tires mounted on your vehicle after Dec 15 !

I've tried Michelins,Goodyears,Generals and the Yokos are the best so far ...

Not biased towards any particular brand as i use Dunlop Direzza Star Specs for the rain
and Nitto NT01's for the dry with my 911 ...

Cheers !
Phil
Old 12-02-2011, 03:37 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i have gotten (especially in recent years) much longer life from michelins than equivalent tires from other brands, and with a better ride\noise at the end if life....if you look at longevity, the price gap isnt as bad, and saves the hassle of buying tires sooner...

it really vries by person/vehicle...i have geolanders on my suv, and can't wait for them to wear out....very disappointed....going back to michelins when they do....ymmmv
Old 12-07-2011, 07:52 AM
El Fredo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a set of Hankooks from theRack...
Great tires they balanced out wonderfully, great wet traction
Do not know how they will wear?

Quick Reply: Michelin vs ???