Sponsored by:

What would cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 10:31 AM
GT4moi
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would cause this?

What would cause this? I learned a new term this week at my tech inspection, delaminating. In fact I probably shouldn't have been driving the GT4, but at less than a year old, and only 2,200 miles on this driver side front Michelin Pilot sport cup 2 tire, I'm wondering how a tire can get so worn, I would have never guessed. My mechanic tried to get Michelin to admit a defect, they denied it based on the aggressive track set up of the car, and I've only been driving over 2 years. So I know I am aggressive, but could push the car even harder. Wondering if my tire pressure is way off, I use about 26 cold before a session, or if the track was just too gnarly the last time out. Anyone else ever see this so early in a tires life?

Old 09-02-2023, 05:07 PM
lgusto
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

My two cents......failure to bring the tires up to temp slowly. I've done this to a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, although not quite so extreme. First lap about 70%, second lap about 80%, then 100% has prevented a recurrence for me.

The following users liked this post:
GT4moi (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 07:52 PM
GT4moi
4th Gear

Thanks for your reply Igusto. I just got home from a DE weekend where I shared my photo with a bunch of drivers and instructors. Consensus was that 2,220 miles of primarily track time is pretty darn good for a set of tires. So I re-checked my history, and I have done 6 events since the tire was installed. That is 12 days, 2,200 miles of hard driving, seems like a rule of thumb is you get 6-10 days of track time from a good set of tires. The rear Cup 2's on my GT4 are still good for another weekend or 2, so I've also learned those fronts have about half the life of rear tires. In any event, I feel better about the tire failure now, just glad it didn't cause a dangerous blow it before it was found.

cheers to all
Old 09-04-2023, 09:13 AM
lgusto
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree 12 days is good.

I'm still pretty sure I caused the damage to my tire by failing to properly bring it up to temp. I check my tires after each session but ran two run groups back to back that day. I had thought that the cool down on the grid between groups wouldn't have had much effect but I was wrong and started the second run BTTWall. Felt a vibration a few laps in and ended the run. Fortunately it was the end of the event.
GT4moi (09-04-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 04:28 PM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 149 Posts

2 quick questions:

Have you been rotating tires side to side?
How much negative camber do you have front and rear?

Reason I am asking is you did not mention an issue with the other front tire and it is extremely common for most tracks to be harder on tires on one side of the car over the other. The other reason I am asking about the negative camber you have is the wear you are concerned about I have seen over an over with Pirellis, BFG, Michelin, Toyos, ...............heck with about every brand especially with certain tread designs. As noted by others , you actually have gotten decent wear for all the tracking you have done, but wondering about the two things I listed above.
GT4moi (09-19-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4moi
Thanks for your reply Igusto. I just got home from a DE weekend where I shared my photo with a bunch of drivers and instructors. Consensus was that 2,220 miles of primarily track time is pretty darn good for a set of tires. So I re-checked my history, and I have done 6 events since the tire was installed. That is 12 days, 2,200 miles of hard driving, seems like a rule of thumb is you get 6-10 days of track time from a good set of tires. The rear Cup 2's on my GT4 are still good for another weekend or 2, so I've also learned those fronts have about half the life of rear tires. In any event, I feel better about the tire failure now, just glad it didn't cause a dangerous blow it before it was found.

cheers to all
If you got 12 days out of Cup 2’s, you probably aren’t driving hard enough.
GT4moi (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 11:02 AM
GT4moi
4th Gear

Camber was (2.7 Rear, 3.0 Front) when delaminating occurred, and it's now set at (2.9 Rear, 3.2 Front). And no, I have not been rotating side to side.

Quick Reply: What would cause this?