Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrosse and DE tire suggestions

Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Autocrosse and DE tire suggestions

I need some advice. Tires and wheels for a 1983 911 Sc for autocrosse and DE. I have have 6 and 7 inch Fuchs with Bridgestone street tires for everyday. I also have 7 more 7" Fuchs and 2 8" Fuchs. Need suggestions for tires on these wheels for the above. I do not want to do any body work. Also at 65 plus and getting back into autocrosse after a 35 year layoff I do not plan to be champ just have fun after all its retirement.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

First, I'm surprised that I did not have any suggestions form the group. Second I see typo in the first message. I have 2 not 7 more 7" Fuchs and 2 8" to put autocrosse tires on. Sorry that is sounded like I had a garage full of wheels.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody wants to help a geezer. I'm 70, but still autox.

Years ago I ran an '88 911 Carrera with 7 and 8X16" Fuchs, but I can't remember the tire sizes I used. I needed to drive to and from events on the tires, so used Kumho Victoracers. They're not as sticky as Kumho V710s or the other slicks with grooves, but were better than the Toyo RA-1s I used later, and the Michelin Cups I use now. If Victoracers made the right sizes in 18s, I'd still be using them. I've heard that the Victorcers may be phased out. You might also consider Yoko A048 (noisey) and the new Toyo R888. If you can haul your autox wheels/tires to the event and switch there, Hoosier A6 and Kumho V710s are very good.

If your run stock class with a group that requires street tires, popular choices include Falken RT-615, Hankook Z214, and Nitto NT-01. I think I'd try the Falkens first.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 03-03-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Remember growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. Kumho victorracers are being phased out. Tire rack does not have any 16" left for my Porsche. A good friend of mine that not only auto x but alaso races a 1972 911 T in vintage racing says the Yoko AO48 tires are greaty for the first few laps but then get greesy quickly. He is trying to get me to put Kumho V710 on in 225 and 245 respectively. If I did that I could not drive them to the event. I leaning towards the Michelin Pilot sport cup tires. They were standard on my 997 GT3 but I took them and the OEM wheels off right away and have them in the garage. I'm thinking the cup tires in 205 55 16 on the front on 7" rims and 225 50 16 on the back on 8" rims. The cup tires are far better than the Bridgestone street tires I have and they are street legal to drive to and from the event. We shall see. I am hesitant to put 225 tires on the front and 245 on the back as that is more tire than the factory recommends and possible could cause some rubbing issues. By the way the 'SC is slightly lowered and has adjustabel Koni shock plus rather firm sway bars etc. Comments.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Ah, it's all starting to come back to me now. The 225/245 tire sizes were very popular on the 7 and 8" Fuchs. I understand your concerns about rubbing, and the factory recommendation (205/225?), but Michelin Cup 225/50/16 fronts and 245/45/16 rears seem to be the perfect fit for those rims, as they are molded for 7" and 8" rims respectively, with rim ranges of 6 to 8" and 7.5 to 9" respectively. Their diameters are 25.1" and 24.9" respectively. You can check all that out at the Michelin Cup specs page at www.tirerack.com.

If the 225/245s will fit your car without rubbing, I think they would work noticably better than the 205/225 combination. The difference is a total of 80 mm more rubber (20 mm more at each corner). I think I'd try to find a way; even if I had to roll the fender lips (that's not REAL body work).

I also drive to and from events on my autocross and track tires, and have been using Michelin Cups on 18" rims for two years. I like them for driving to and from events, and for track driving. Where they come up a little short is at autocross. They are a little cold natured, so they don't enough heat in them to reach their optimal grip. For autocross, I might as well drive on my OEM Michelin PS2s when the weather is cool (normally March/April or November/December), but the Cups are noticably better in warmer weather (normally June - September).
Old 03-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Jack: I just discovered that you ditched your '06 CS for the new GT3. I'm running a '06 CS in SCCA SS class, so the Vette (which you also have), the GT3, and the Elise give me fits in SS.

Welcome back to autocross. Remember that pulling back on the stick (wheel) will NOT lift you over that cone.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:07 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Jim:

Since no one else will chim in, yes I have a GT3 and only traded the Cayman S when I got the chance to get the GT3 ... I love it and it is a keeper. the corvette is a daily driver, as much as a mostly retired guy needs a daily driver. The Cayman S (absolutely great car) was my first Porsche in almost 30 years. My first was a '66 912 I got in 1968 followed by a 1972 911T (which I wish I still had) then a 1974 911 ... all these were pre-owned. I then got a 1977 911S the last sold by the factory (I took delivery on the factory steps Christmas eve 1977) military move caused me to sell it 6 months later. Then no Porsche for a long time as our kids took priority. Now I have the toys. I really do like this '83 Sc and hope to do it justice on the track. Not bad for an old guy that had to quit flying last year for a low back issue that was getting worse and the shock of learning that i have the early stages of Macular degeneration ... but none of that will slow me down. Anyway sorry for the long comment and I will focus on the 225 /16 in the fornt and the 245 /16 in the back and as I already said the cup tires are my choice even though they are slow to warm. Jim stay in touch, contrary to what the young folks say we arn't old just well seasoned youngsters.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "wheel and tire" area is a bit quite. Most folks either post in Racing or Autocross...

That said, Jim is right.. Either factory 205/225 or 225/245 are the sizes you are interested. It is getting a bit harder to find even 16" tires these days, especially the 245-45-16 size.

MPSC are a good dual purpose tire, as is the outgoing Toyo RA-1 and the new Toyo R888. You don't mention if you are looking for an "R" comp (sticky, DOT legal) or a "street" tire. Not sure how long you have been out of the game but the TIRE wars are back and thats good for all of us!

Yes, a 225 on the front, usually the front left, is a tight fit. Expect to roll the fender lips... Ride height and camber settings will affect fitment as well.. Is you suspension "stock" or "much improved" ?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

racer's right about the left front being a tighter tire fit than the right front. It was that way for decades. The fender lips were rolled on both of my 911s (an '88 Carrera and a '93 RSA). Lowering and more negative camber also provided more tire room.

My autocross/track buddy is a 76 year old ex-racer, drives a '06 CS (we got them at the same time), and also gives me fits at autocross. He's actually a bit quicker than I on track, at least in traffic (I wait for a point-by, I keep telling him).
Old 03-04-2008, 11:05 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Your GT-3 is not in SS. You can run ASP or SM2..assuming we are talking about a 997 GT-3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocrosse and DE tire suggestions