Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternates to RUFs?

Old 06-09-2007, 04:23 PM
John G.
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternates to RUFs?

This '86 Carrera I'm looking at buying has a nice set of RUF wheels on it, but in talking to my race-car driving mechanic, he says they're some of the heaviest rims he's ever seen on a car.

So a few questions:

Any benefits to having an extra ten pounds on each corner?

Don't really think so, so does anybody have any suggestions other than tried-and-true Fuchs? Something that looks good on a whale-tail equipped supercharged road rocket? My '77 911 has Fuchs, and I like them, but want something a bit different.

Contemporary styles are OK, I think the car is riding on 18' rims with some pretty big Yokohama stickies.

Sorry for the newbie question, by the way.

-JG
Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 AM
2skys1imit3
4th Gear

well it depends…heavy old school rims if it’s a good company like RUF should be a well made set of Wheels

wouldn’t want to lose a few pounds for a crappy made pair of new wheels

I’d say shop around if your looking for a new set of wheels but getting anything in 18s is still gonna slow you down then keeping those wheels if they’re any smaller than 18s
Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 PM
9-kevin-11
Instructor

I'm convinced that cutting some weight from wheels is very important: your car will have better acceleration (light weight wheels spin-up faster), and you take a lot of stress off of your suspension. When you shop for light wheels, though, you have to make sure they are strong enough to stand up to abuse. I just got a set of Fikse's and I think they're great! For a little less money, I would suggest Kodiak.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Zporsche944
Racer

technosports are nice
Old 07-06-2007, 05:57 PM
sonny1
Banned

Originally Posted by John G.
This '86 Carrera I'm looking at buying has a nice set of RUF wheels on it, but in talking to my race-car driving mechanic, he says they're some of the heaviest rims he's ever seen on a car.

So a few questions:

Any benefits to having an extra ten pounds on each corner?

Don't really think so, so does anybody have any suggestions other than tried-and-true Fuchs? Something that looks good on a whale-tail equipped supercharged road rocket? My '77 911 has Fuchs, and I like them, but want something a bit different.

Contemporary styles are OK, I think the car is riding on 18' rims with some pretty big Yokohama stickies.

Sorry for the newbie question, by the way.

-JG
Heavy wheels like RUF are cheaper to manufacture, Ruf wants an arm & a leg just for the brand name associated with it, in the other hand good quality light forged wheels are more expensive to manufacture and stronger, a heavy wheel might have some impact at high speeds where inertia might be a factor (gyroscopic effect), I think the lightest and strongest is the best wheel, got to love BBS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternates to RUFs?