Sponsored by:

Question for wheel and tire experts - 996 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 01:10 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for wheel and tire experts - 996 C4S

I have a 2003 C4S that I bought snow wheels and tires for last year. Because the winter wheels are narrower, I also have to put 17 mm spacers on with the winter wheels. My C4S came with Sport Techno wheels and spacers that are about half as thick as the 17s. Would there be any advantage or disadvantage in leaving the 17 mm spacers on the car instead of re-installing the thinner spacers the next time I put the summer wheels back on?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:22 PM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the wider stance you would get from the bigger spacers can give you better handling - it can also add high speed instability and wander - that part all really depends on your alignment settings - also, check interference issues carefully - i don't know that car or the fitment of those wheels, but you may have issues with outer interference at the extremes (like fully loaded and in a big off camber bump, etc)

Wheel Enhancement can probably give you really good input on the specifics of your setup
Old 04-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishman
I have a 2003 C4S that I bought snow wheels and tires for last year. Because the winter wheels are narrower, I also have to put 17 mm spacers on with the winter wheels. My C4S came with Sport Techno wheels and spacers that are about half as thick as the 17s. Would there be any advantage or disadvantage in leaving the 17 mm spacers on the car instead of re-installing the thinner spacers the next time I put the summer wheels back on?
Something doesn't make sense. The Sport Techno rear wheel has an offset of 63 mm while the stock C4S wheel has an offset of 45 mm. When Porsche installs the Sport Techno at the factory, they use the 17 mm spacer. As such, I don't understand where half the size spacer came from. Besides, the next size down from 17 is 5. That's a lot less than half the size of 17. It is the 17 mm you want to use with the Sport Techno.

Quick Reply: Question for wheel and tire experts - 996 C4S