Limited tire options for 285x30x18?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by abalto
For the life of my I cannot understand why many of you guys are caught up on the usual names.
Most likely for the same reason you are driving a Porsche Turbo rather than a Subaru? Isn't the Subaru a great AWD car too?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Have you driven on the tires I am talking about?
No, should I have?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, I used to have a Subaru AWD vehicle. Damn, are you telling me I shouldn't have sold it?
No, I didn't say that. And, now I am sorry I even got myself into this conversation. Good luck with your Hankook tires.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

abalto, it's not personal. English is Viken's fourth or fifth language; just because he doesn't sugar-coat everything doesn't mean he's an ***. Chalk it up to the loss of shading/tonality/nuance via the typed word. Have a beer, it'll be fine.

edit: You do know Ray Calvo, right?
Old 01-27-2005, 08:45 PM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

Yeah that makes two of us.

If you are the goodwill ambassador for rennlist.com Viken, you are doing a great job. Your overwarming reception has helped me to decide whether I want to be a member or not!

Thanks. Good luck with that attitude of yours.
Bubba abaloney,

wile dat bubba Viking maybe a bit unkleer at timez cuz o hiz engash, ol JimBob is a naytivity eanglash speeker so I is gonna klarifi it fer yall.

Yalls weak threat ta deestroy Rennlist by wtholdin membershop monee is pert lame konsiderin dat yall iz a freeloader fer pert neer 2 yeers. My sugestshun ta you is dat yall dun gorw a pair.

Yur Fren,
JimBob
Old 01-27-2005, 08:52 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Hey ablato, can you please point me to the exact Hankook tires you would recommend for a modern Porsche? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
Can anyone tell me why no one uses BF Goodrich tires either the KDW or the KDW2's?

Is there anything I should know about these?

I am also noticing that options are pretty light thin.
No clue. THey are awesome tires and you won't be dissapointed if you want the best non-R compound out.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:59 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Thanks. Looks like they have a few 18 inch pcar sizes.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:03 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Those Hankooks have awful skinny tread blocks, and look like they'd get ripped to shreds in no time if you were driving very hard at all, especially on the track.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:37 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

"abalto, it's not personal. English is Viken's fourth or fifth language; just because he doesn't sugar-coat everything doesn't mean he's an ***."

I disagree.
His grasp of the language seems just fine.

I get the impression that some folks spend more time on the track than others. Those that do seem to disregard those who don't. I see no need for that - theres a racing forum if you're feeling the need to impress...Viken.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe a moderator can add this to the FAQ or make it a sticky at the top of the board:

========================================================

I have_____ on my car, so they must be the best. I don't have any experience with any other ____, or any other cars, but I know what I like, and I like the ____ I have. If you want me to like the _____ you have, you should get the ones I have. If you don't get the ______that I have, then you're stupid, because everyone knows that the _____I have are the best.

And if you want me to like you, don't tell me anything I don't want to hear.

==============================================

Anyone who gets pissed, please report to the JimBob Humor Transplant Clinic and put your name on the waiting list.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

For what it's worth, I have found Viken to be an incredible source of reliable and even expert information.

The fact that he can speak five languages makes me feel like a total cretin. But then I read some other posts and actually feel pretty smart.

Also I get the impression that some folks spend no time on the track . Those that don't seem to resent those who do. I see no need for that - theres a general forum if you're feeling the need to impress Viken.

Having written that, now I don't feel smart again.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:48 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

"You don't like the tires I like, but it can't be for a valid reason. You must have had a bad experience with Tire Rack (that's where tires come from). You are probably more "track orientated". I think these tires are just great for everything (except maybe for the track). You should see how good they are at Starbucks, or at a nice restaurant. I tried them on my car, and I liked them so much, that I'm probably going to try them again, or maybe get something else."
Old 01-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His command of the English language seems to be fine to me. I think it may go deeper than that.

I guess I just do not understand the need for some of you to be arrogant, condescending and outright rude. I posted a simple message relating to a good experience that I had with a product and some of you feel the need to flame me (and others) and make a joke out of things. If you feel that going to a local track every once in a while (or every day for that matter) qualifies you to be rude to a fellow Porsche fan, I disagree. The last time I checked this was a “General forum talking about Wheels and Tires”, and NOT “Tire selection for 2005 season of Rolex 24 @ Daytona”!

Some of you guys really take yourselves too seriously. You seem to think that posting pictures of you doing a drivers education class or doing some club racing means that you can treat others rudely and without much of any respect. I post a recommendation for some tires and also ask if Viken has tried them and I get replies like “No, should I have?”, among other comments from a few others. Yes Viken, if you are indeed as important as you have led everyone here to believe, you actually should try them. Is it that you are too good to try them, or just too important to treat someone else with respect. Which is it? (And, please don't take that personally, sometimes my english doesn't come out just right)

I have been to all kinds of chat boards and I even own a chat board with more members than Rennlist. You would think that higher income and net worth people would be more considerate and secure, but many times it is actually quite the opposite.

To the fellow posters that I have gotten PMs and emails from, we understand now. We need to buy a camera and tripod, and head to the track so we can be cool and be products experts too...but most importantly then we can be arrogant, condescending and outright rude to others at will.

WOW...
Who pissed in your wheaties today?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

abalto

On the chat board you own, how do you get the nonmembers with a hundred or more posts over a few years to spring for a membership?

Quick Reply: Limited tire options for 285x30x18?