Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Track days coming, want sticky tires (out of stock)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 06:59 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Help! Track days coming, want sticky tires (out of stock)

So I finally made the plunge and bought a second set of wheels with the idea of making them track wheels. I still need to drive to/from the track, so I didn't go outrageous and just have standard 17" cup: 7"f, 9"r. Plan was to get 225/45f & 275/40r Kumho Victoracers, but they have a set of Pirelli Pzero Asyms with reasonable tread left on them. I didn't get around to replacing them before a track day at Thunderhill, and I didn't like them too much. However, I might have just had too much air in them as they were getting more than 40 hot.

I have a track w/e on Oct 30/31. Trouble is, everyone seems all sold out of those rears everywhere I've called. I also looked at the Dunlop SP Sport (largest is 245 rear), the Toyo RA/1 (only 205 - too small & 235 - too large in front).

<b>Here's the question(s):</b>
Sources for Kumhos? Options to them? Do the Pirelli's suck (I know they are street, not track, but I've used Bridgestone RE750's to date, so it's not like I know what I'm missing yet on the stickies). I'd love to make the jump to a stickier tire, but can't seem to find them in time.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:34 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

jps
i have a DE track day coming up this sat and am using the same wheels as you from my '95 993 with the Dunlop 225 and 245 tires on my 951 this weekend at Gingerman. I will let you know how the Dunlops perform after this weekend. The overall size of the Dunlops have been reported larger than average. That convinced me. I can't wait to take those tires around the track on the 993 someday.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:05 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

How did they come out?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:50 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, a family obligation prevented me from attending this particular track day.

Quick Reply: Help! Track days coming, want sticky tires (out of stock)