Tire Wear Queston

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tire Wear Queston

I’ve just had a set of SO3's put on my 18" Kinesis Supercup Wheels; 40x225 front and 30x285 rear, wheel widths are 8" and 10" respectively.

I took off a set of 996 twin turbo wheels that I bought new. They have Pirelli Pzeros fitted; 40x225 front and 30x295 rear, wheel widths are 8" and 11' respectively.

My question is whether the tire wear on the Pirelli is within normal limits, not as it relates to mileage but as it relates to evenness of wear across the surface of the tire. That is from the inside to the outside. The car is a 97 C2S which is not driven on the track.

Here are the measurements which I took with a tire tread depth gauge:

Front: right and left tires had the same readings:
inside–7/32
middle–9/32
outside–8/32

Rear: left

inside–5/32*
middle–6/32
outside–6/32

Rear: right
inside–4/32*
middle–6/32
outside-6/32
* indicates readings that don’t match from side to side.

Car handles fine although it looks like I could reduce front air pressure a little to even wear out but I don’t think for 1/32 of wear it’s worth it.

Since I just got new tires I’ve thought about an alignment, but I don’t think my tire wear is that bad. Am I right? I think an alignment would be a waste of money. Also my car is corner balanced.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems to me that you have the typical inner tread wear on a car that is not driven more aggressively. If you are mostly driving in a straight line, and are not cornering fast, you will get this type of wear. Unless you change your driving habits, this is considered normal.

Quick Reply: Tire Wear Queston