Sponsored by:

Pirelli Sottozero 3 Purchase From Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 10:12 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Pirelli Sottozero 3 Purchase From Tire Rack

I just picked up a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3's from Tire Rack. Went directly to the warehouse in Windsor CT and picked them up, saving quite a bit of $$. Anyway, I noticed the date codes on the tires ranged 1919, 2019 and 2x2419. So basically they sold me 2.5 year old tires and I haven't even mounted them yet. Should I take them back and ask for a newer set or am I good to go, as I am sure they were properly stored until purchase?

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
aordonio (10-01-2022)
Old 12-02-2021, 09:30 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I ran into this with a set of winter tires for my wife's SQ5. They did offer to discount the tires due to the age, and the problem they have is because of covid there was very little manufacturing going on in 2020 and the supply chain got all sorts of f'ed up. They had nothing in terms of newer for the size that I required. Super annoying.
aordonio (10-01-2022)
Old 12-02-2021, 11:09 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 170 Posts

Thanks NiteJav.

I called Tire Rack Customer Service and they gave me the run around. The woman said that that is the freshest tires they had and the only ones that fit my car. They are out of stock on anything else that would fit. She said I could return them if I wanted to and did offer to send prepaid labels to ship them back (warehouse is an hour away and I did pick them up). She also mentioned that 2.5 year old tires (off the shelf) are OK and that the tire association in the US says 5 years shelf life and 5 years road life for any DOT tire is good. So, if I mounted a set of 2021 date coded tires today, they have the same road life as my 2019 date coded tires, which would theoretically be the winter season of 2026. Don't know if that is just BS or not. However, if I want newer tires, I will have to wait until August 2022 before any new tire stocks hit the warehouse. They did not offer any discount, and even if they did, the tires would still be 2.5 years old.

Basically, if I want to drive this winter (safely), I am stuck with what I have, which is sort of a bummer. I guess I'll drive them hard and get new ones sooner!?!?!
aordonio (10-01-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 01:59 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Tire Rack stores their tires correctly, so you don't have to worry about any significant degradation, even with tires that have spent a couple of years on the shelf. Certainly we'd all love to have tires that were just made last week, but you aren't going to see any practical difference between two-week old and two-year old tires (again assuming they've been correctly stored).
Old 01-01-2022, 11:50 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,376 Likes on 2,138 Posts

I don’t consider 2.5 year old tires stored properly old.

If you truly need to use the vehicle in winter climate, would you rather risk wrecking the car, or wasting $1k in 2.5 years?

Nothing is ideal in supply chain at the moment, this is one of those moments where it just is what it is.
aordonio (10-01-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:52 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I don’t consider 2.5 year old tires stored properly...

Nothing is ideal in supply chain at the moment, this is one of those moments where it just is what it is.
Agreed, put them on the car and be happy that you could get a set. I just discovered that they are sold out of the wheels (front) that I put on for winter this year. Not surprising but telling as I had selected the more expensive option because my original choice (discount tire) was out of stock.
The supply chain will NEVER be the same. China has begun the process of decoupling from the Dollar and U.S. economy. This is just the beginning. Planning on buying ANYTHING in the future? Better get it NOW!!!

Last edited by MrMarco; 01-06-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:32 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Tires

Best Street performance tires on the market with a 200 Tread wear rating
https://continentaltire.com/tires/extremecontact-force
ronny062 (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 07:04 AM
ronny062
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SSDVC
I just picked up a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3's from Tire Rack. Went directly to the warehouse in Windsor CT and picked them up, saving quite a bit of $$. Anyway, I noticed the date codes on the tires ranged 1919, 2019 and 2x2419. So basically they sold me 2.5 year old tires and I haven't even mounted them yet. Should I take them back and ask for a newer set or am I good to go, as I am sure they were properly stored until purchase?

Thanks.
right about the end of 20211, my senior colleague at work came to me with the same question and what i told him was to go return them and get better once instead
Old 09-30-2022, 06:04 PM
T Silnner
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Tires dated 6/21-I would just mount them. However, anything two+ years old, or a set badly mismatched by date (as age will shorten wear life), I would send back.

I have bought many a set from Tire Rack and they will never tell you the date on the tires your order.
aordonio (10-01-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 12:01 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Many of the winter tires are only manufactured about 2 months a year, X-ice in the wide sizes, shotzero's , Bridgestone.
In many cases if you don't have them on order and wait, you don't get them right now. (Size matters.... )

I wish I could get something close to the stock summer tires for winter, I don't need "snow" tires I need Ice tires..
But try and find a winter in a 285-30x18... and with the C4 you have to keep height the same so it doubles down on the easter egg hunt...

Quick Reply: Pirelli Sottozero 3 Purchase From Tire Rack