Michelin PS2 for '00 C4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin PS2 for '00 C4?

I'd like to try a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 for my C4. I've got 18x8 front and 18x10 rear Turbo Look wheels. It appears that Michelin has the 225/40-18 I need for the front, but the closest fit for the rear seems to be their 295/30-18. Any opinions on how that would work? I'll be doing lots of auto-x with these tires, as well as my daily driving.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I were you, I'd try the Pilot Sport Rib instead:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+Rib

Old 03-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your response, Viken. May I ask why you would suggest the Pilot Sport Rib? I have absolutely no experience with any tire other than the S03. I've gone through two sets of those autocrossing the past year and a half so I've got a pretty good feel for what they will do on my car and I'm hoping to find something a bit better.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Kerry
Thank you for your response, Viken. May I ask why you would suggest the Pilot Sport Rib? I have absolutely no experience with any tire other than the S03. I've gone through two sets of those autocrossing the past year and a half so I've got a pretty good feel for what they will do on my car and I'm hoping to find something a bit better.
If you liked the S-03, you'll like the Ribs even better. Between that and the S-02A, you cannot go wrong as they both are designed to perform really good in the dry and fairly well in the wet. As to the PS2's, I reserve judgement on those until I drive a car other than my GT3 on them. I just discovered that they have a very soft sidewall and may not be suitable for any car. If you really want to try them, go for the 225/40 and the 265/35. I wouldn't go for the 295/30 on your C4.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Viken. I really appreciate your experience and insight.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

You're welcome, Kerry. Please let us know what you decide and give us some feedback.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:16 PM
RK 996 Turbo
5th Gear

Viken: Like Kerry I appreciate your insight on these forums. I have a 02 TT with OEM Pirelli's that have an extremely high level of road noise. I was leaning toward the PS2's or S02A's as a replacement. Any opinion as to the noise level of the S02A's vs the PS2's or Pirelli's. The soft sidewall of the PS2's may eliminate that as a choice for me as well....
thanks.....
Old 03-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by RK 996 Turbo
Viken: Like Kerry I appreciate your insight on these forums.
Thank you!

I have a 02 TT with OEM Pirelli's that have an extremely high level of road noise. I was leaning toward the PS2's or S02A's as a replacement. Any opinion as to the noise level of the S02A's vs the PS2's or Pirelli's. The soft sidewall of the PS2's may eliminate that as a choice for me as well....
This is my least favorite question to answer. Only, because high performance tires are all noisy and get noisier very quickly as they wear. Most people replace a specific worn tire with a different new one, and think the different tire is quieter. When I ran the P-Zero's on my previous 993, I was always amazed at how much quieter a new set of the same were upon replacing the worn set. There was almost no noise until at least 1/3 of the tread was gone. The only way to compare noise from two different tires, is to have a new set of both on the same car and do some A/B testing back and forth. I'll bet the differences are minor if one was to do this comparison.

FWIW, the PS2's on my GT3 are very noisy (soft compound) and so are the S-02A's on my 360. If you want to change your P-Zero just because you don't like their noise, I wouldn't do it. But, if you want to try something else, go ahead and try the S-02A's ot the Pilot Sport Rib's.

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 for '00 C4?