Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Wheel and Tire Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum-74/)
-   -   Fuchs on late offset 944's? (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum/115412-fuchs-on-late-offset-944s.html)

trebor_quitman 02-19-2004 07:59 AM

Fuchs on late offset 944's?

Hello all, I have been told that Fushs will not fit on Late offset 944's, Why? Not even the HRE 311's from wheel enhancement are supposed to fit. My application is not even on a late 944, just the wheel/brake components which I have on a IRS beetle, it's the project car in my sig. Will wheel spacers even get me there? I want the classic look of fuchs to match the body. Pluss of course all the other goodies that come with having fuchs. Light weight etc... If I'm SOL is there another wheel someone can suggest for my application? Thanks for any info you can throw to a tinkering soul like myself :D

ian 02-19-2004 02:49 PM

HRE 311's should fit, unless they are not producing any more and only made them in early offsets, the 311 is a 3 piece wheel and they should be able to make them in any specs that you ask for.

That said fuchs will not fit late offset cars because of the offsest, fuchs are 23mm in offset (944 fitment) and late offset cars are 52mm (aprox).... So you can fit late offset wheels to and early car with a spacer, but early offset wheels would sit outside the fenders to begin with so a spacer would only make that worse....

Bill L Seifert 02-19-2004 08:16 PM

I have been told that you can take 6x16 Fuchs from a 911, have the rim cut off, and bolt a BBS 7 or 8 rim on. This would obviously have to be done by a professional. I can't remember who told me that, but it might have been someone at Woodman Tires, in one of the Carolinas. Sorry, my memory is not what it use to be. I do know that a 16 x 7 Fuchs with a 225-50-16 will almost fit in the rear, but no hope in the front.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
1987 944S Race Car under const. (I would love to put them on this car.)

trebor_quitman 02-20-2004 08:39 AM

Originally posted by ian
fuchs will not fit late offset cars because of the offsest, fuchs are 23mm in offset (944 fitment) and late offset cars are 52mm (aprox).... So you can fit late offset wheels to and early car with a spacer, but early offset wheels would sit outside the fenders to begin with so a spacer would only make that worse....
So it's not a brake clearance issue? Presently I have 16" phone on the VW and they are recessed about 3 inches from the inner lip of the Kits fender well. So early offset would come out approx 29mm on a same width wheel? Is my math right? I might be ok then if there are no other issues. What about bearing wear, is there any good reads on the effects of wheel spacers on bearing life? This would be the same effect I would be experienceing due to placing the wheel farther out even though she's half as heavy. TIA