New tire questions - Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts
Default New tire questions - Atlanta

Hi all,

I purchased a set of barely used hem wheels off of a 07 Turbo to fit to my 09 C4S. The wheels and tires that came on my car when purchased in December were 18" with SottoZero's (1 inch smaller than OEM, and winter tires).

It does get into the 20's a few times a year, but not too often. I was planning on picking up a set of PS4S tires, and mounting on my 19" turbo wheels. I can save a few hundred bucks if I remove the TPMS from my winter tires, and install on my new tires, as I was going to trash the tires, and sell the rims. I have heard the PS4S do well in the cold, but they are still summer tires. This is my Daily, and Only driver, so the question is...

Should I keep the 18" winters for the month or 2 here it gets cold?
Should I get new TPMS for the new tires, or just run without in the winter?
Where is the best place to grab good TPMS for a good price online?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:25 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

PS4S quality in winter is a matter of opinion. In my opinion, they're pretty bad. Though not as bad as other summers. Never take them on ice or snow, cars running $50 all seasons will be passing you. But GA shuts down at the risk of ice or snow, so just stay home those days.
Don't take a corner expecting the same grip you have in summer and you'll be fine. They're only "dangerous" in winter because most people don't think to adapt their driving for road temperature conditions.
Summer tires should not be stored on the car when temperatures are below freezing, so hopefully you have a garage to park in. I've seen nice summer tires start to crack after being left under the weight of the car in the cold.

That being said, I run racing tires on my car all year. It doesn't get very cold here in GA and the days when we might get into the 20s, the high is usually still in the 40s or 50s.

I would strongly discourage winter tires in GA. If you want a set specifically for our "cold," I would consider all seasons. With how frequently we have winter days in the 60s and 70s, you'll be tearing through real winter tires.

Having TPMS is entirely up to you. I like having TPMS on all my wheels, but if you want to save a few bucks, you don't need it. Just be conscientious about checking your tire pressure every few weeks, especially if the temps get real cold.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts

Lived in Atlanta for 5 years. PS4S are summer performance, using them below 40 is not recommended. Forget about the potential cracking issue, they are like driving on hard plastic at low temps. I'd get the PS4S for the summer. You can take them to the track. Keep the other wheels and get a set of cheap all seasons for the winter. The trick is when do you swap tires and wheels. I'd skip the TPMS on the all seasons. Tire Rack and TitanTPMS are sources for TPMS sensors. I'd at least price shop both sets of tires from Tire Rack. The PS4S should come with 2 years of Road Hazard. Make sure you print the installation price and take it with you, it is discounted. Some tire shops will match Tire Rack. If you don't have one already Harbor Freight sells a low profile aluminum jack by Pittsburgh. Watch their ads and coupons, they are everywhere. Get a puck or pad for the jack.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

So I think for safety, I am going to keep the 18" winters, and just have new TPMS and rubber installed on my new to me turbo wheels. Gives me 2 sets of fully functional wheels, and covers me for winters. The cost difference is negligible, as it would cost about 80-100 to have the 2 month old TPMS on my winters removed, and put into my new wheels. I won't get to sell the winter take-offs, but I have a list of things to sell that have been sitting in my basement for a year...

Thanks for weighing in all.

Quick Reply: New tire questions - Atlanta