Summer Tires in winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 05:03 PM
MidEngineToy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer Tires in winter

Hello,
I know that you shouldn't run summer tire in winter but how dangerous is it?

The reason I ask this question is because I'm shopping for a Boxster. I live in Chicago and most clean examples are in the south and come with summer tires.
If I purchase one this winter will it be safe to drive it home in winter and possibly in a snow storm closer to home?

The car will be a summer toy so buy all seasons will be a waste of money.
Has anyone been in this situation and can offer any advice?

Thank you very much.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:35 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

They would be useless in the snow. You may as well have slicks. Acceleration, stopping, steering, all useless.

Not only that, but their performance in dry conditions substantially decreases when temperatures are under 50-F, and it only gets worse with colder temps.

You could drive it around for a bit in the south and then have it shipped, or wait until the temperatures are warmer.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I bought a Boxster S in the dead of winter in Chicago and drive it home (in Chicago). As long as the roads are clear, you can easily drive it home. Just be careful and be very mindful of any ice or slippery spots and don’t get caught in a snow storm.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-26-2020)
Old 01-31-2019, 08:55 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Can you drive it? Yes.

But summer tires aren't designed to perform in cold temperatures. By perform, I mean they solidify and provide no grip even on dry pavement. Once you hit a bit of snow, people in bald all season tires will be passing you while you struggle keep it going straight.
The rubber compound can also become damaged from the cold.

I've done ice racing events on old summer tires and it was a lot of fun. If you know what you're doing, you'll be fine. But I'd at least wait for a clear weekend before driving the new car home.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:16 AM
MidEngineToy
3rd Gear

Thank you very much for all the advice guys. I appreciate it.

Living in Chicago I never bothered with summer tires, so I have no idea how bad it would be. Looks like I will just get a set of all seasons and ship the summer tires back.
I might be able to store the car in North Carolina but that is a favor I don't want to ask for.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:04 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't do it. It's dangerous and irresponsible. If you caused an accident and hurt someone how would you feel? If the car needs tires, maybe compromise with a good performance all-season set and drive the car home on those - but DON'T try driving a summer tire in the snow.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:56 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

I am having the opposite issue. Bought a 911 C4S used, but it came with 18" wheels, and winter tires. #firstWorldProblems

Old 02-01-2019, 08:21 PM
MidEngineToy
3rd Gear

Default 4WD VS Winter Tyres - Do you need winter tyres if you have 4WD?

found a good video on youtube that really surprised me about summer tires

4WD VS Winter Tyres - Do you need winter tyres if you have 4WD?
by Tyre Reviews

(2) BMW X1
one with FWD w/winter tires
other with AWD and summer tires
Old 02-02-2019, 07:15 PM
DaBigBR
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've lurked long enough to have seen a lot of these threads.

There will be people that will tell you you're going to kill yourself and people that will tell you you'll end up in trouble if you're in a crash and people that will tell you not to worry about it.

There is zero question that summer tires do not perform as well in the cold. They will be absolutely worthless on snow. I would wager that the vast majority of American sports cars on the road in the winter are on summer or all season tires. It doesn't make it right, but it provides some data on performance.

Having just gone through this with my 997 and having to drive it 50 miles on 10 degree dry pavement, I'm going to say you should be able to get it home, but drive it like a Camry. Get it somewhere safe, and start shopping for a set of winter wheels and tires. There are a lot of them out there and there will be more in the spring. Just factor the $1500-$2000 into your purchase and be happy instead of worried.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-26-2020)
Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

With 100% certainty, it's unsafe. Temperatures alone are a problem, as summer tire rubber compounds aren't made for winter temps. My summer tires feel like plastic matchbox tires when temps are 30-degrees, never mind the extremes in Chicago (where, BTW, I used to live). Any snow or ice, you're toast. Unless you can get winter tires on it, I wouldn't do it unless I had the flexibility to wait to catch a warm spell. But instead of driving it, why not have it shipped up via covered transport? Save on airfare, gas, depreciation, and wear and tear, and avoid the expense of winter tires or risk of driving on plastic-like wheels.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

^^ 100% unsafe? Maybe for you and your setup. You might be running Pirelli’s, LOL.

Depends on conditions. Let’s say you get caught in black ice with winter tires. Is that safe? Much safer than having summers only, and sure, if the ice is thin, could make the difference between life and death.

On the the other hand, black ice can mean 0% traction no matter what tires you have.

I’ve had Michelin summer only tires that stick like glue at 35F on dry roads.

The thing about tires and conditions has more to do with understanding your present and potential situation, along with your ability to drive. There is never any safe situation with any tire setup because any tire is a compromise.

The reason why some people say that they can drive in the snow on summer tires is because they are very capable
drivers. They have a very comprehensive understand of their environment and their equipment. Those kids of drivers can fly around the Nurburgring in an old air-cooled 911 at triple digit speeds sideways. On any tire.

The best thing I do when I drive any car in changing conditions is to frequently test my traction. If I get into a new or unfamiliar car, I’ll take the car out and make sure nobody is around be and I’ll practice panic stops. I’ll test front and rear traction while turning. If I’m driving and conditions change, I adopt and test these new conditions. For safety, this gives me a new cushion to work with, and I’ll adjust my speed accordingly...

The OP suggested that a snow event might be part of this trip. In that case, I agree, don’t drive the car. But clean and clear roads on summer tires is not really a huge risk if the person driving know how to adjust for traction differences.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:06 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
^^ 100% unsafe? Maybe for you and your setup. You might be running Pirelli’s, LOL.

Depends on conditions. Let’s say you get caught in black ice with winter tires. Is that safe? Much safer than having summers only, and sure, if the ice is thin, could make the difference between life and death.

On the the other hand, black ice can mean 0% traction no matter what tires you have.

The thing about tires and conditions has more to do with understanding your present and potential situation, along with your ability to drive. There is never any safe situation with any tire setup because any tire is a compromise.

The reason why some people say that they can drive in the snow on summer tires is because they are very capable
drivers. They have a very comprehensive understand of their environment and their equipment. Those kids of drivers can fly around the Nurburgring in an old air-cooled 911 at triple digit speeds sideways. On any tire.

The best thing I do when I drive any car in changing conditions is to frequently test my traction. If I get into a new or unfamiliar car, I’ll take the car out and make sure nobody is around be and I’ll practice panic stops. I’ll test front and rear traction while turning. If I’m driving and conditions change, I adopt and test these new conditions. For safety, this gives me a new cushion to work with, and I’ll adjust my speed accordingly...

The OP suggested that a snow event might be part of this trip. In that case, I agree, don’t drive the car. But clean and clear roads on summer tires is not really a huge risk if the person driving know how to adjust for traction differences.

Yes, 100% unsafe. Like driving without a seat belt, you might make it there safely, but that doesn't make it safe. That's not to say it's going to be an issue, but it's risky, especially over a very long distance in the heart of winter.

Meanwhile, if you're running summer tires in the winter and aren't sensing the reduction in performance, I'm going to suggest you sell the Porsche and take a look at some Camry's... I suspect others here have a bit more road and/or track feel. Personally, I've never had a summer tire I wanted to have on the road below 40 degrees. Have I driven them? Yes. Would I plan to put them on a 1000+ mile voyage in winter? Not if I could avoid it.

(BTW - I'm running MPSS and MPSC2 on my P-Cars, which never make it out between Dec - Mar because of a combo of cold temps, salt/brine exposure, and potholes that look like we took enemy mortar fire)

Last edited by PorscheStrong; 02-03-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:41 PM
hammer.time
Track Day

I had problems with my P zero's cracking and the weather was in the 30's here in PA. I put some Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my stock wheels to use in the cold weather because I don't want to have a car I can't use if the temperature drops.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:52 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

I would encourage anyone considering driving a summer tire in the winter to watch a few of the REAL differences between the two here.

Quick Reply: Summer Tires in winter