Sponsored by:

Unknown wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 12:38 PM
RomiP
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown wheels

I recently bought a 911T Targa 1969 imported from the US with those wheels on.
I’ve never seen them before. Does anyone know what it could be?
Thanks
R
Old 01-27-2019, 10:09 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Are there any markings? That spoke style is the famous "Minilite" style, but many companies made similar wheels. Even within the Minilite brand, there are many different variations of hub and spoke treatment.

There appear to be steel inserts at the lug holes, which suggests they are magnesium.

I would post on PelicanParts or EarlySRegistry - someone there has surely seen these.

They look similar to these, which are supposedly real Mg Minilites: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...eels-sale.html

As is suggested in that thread, I personally would have them tested for cracks if you want to drive on them. Even then, you need to regularly check for corrosion. Magnesium isn't the strongest material, and 50-year old technology wasn't great.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:27 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

Minilite
or something by Empis

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=246637
Old 01-28-2019, 04:46 AM
RomiP
5th Gear

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Are there any markings? That spoke style is the famous "Minilite" style, but many companies made similar wheels. Even within the Minilite brand, there are many different variations of hub and spoke treatment.

There appear to be steel inserts at the lug holes, which suggests they are magnesium.

I would post on PelicanParts or EarlySRegistry - someone there has surely seen these.

They look similar to these, which are supposedly real Mg Minilites: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...eels-sale.html

As is suggested in that thread, I personally would have them tested for cracks if you want to drive on them. Even then, you need to regularly check for corrosion. Magnesium isn't the strongest material, and 50-year old technology wasn't great.

Thanks French Toast.
I couldn't find any markings on the rims. I'll definitely post on suggested sites and see what comes back.
Just wanted to know if those wheels are worth anything as I'll probably get Fuchs back on the car after restoration.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:50 AM
RomiP
5th Gear

Thanks for that Fracture.
Indeed very similar. Do you think it's worth refreshing them to trade?
Old 01-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RomiP
Thanks for that Fracture.
Indeed very similar. Do you think it's worth refreshing them to trade?
You can purchase them (15") new for about $160 or so
https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt72_...heels-15-inch/

A refinish would probably be close to $100 per wheel

Cool wheel though
Old 01-28-2019, 10:58 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fracture
You can purchase them (15") new for about $160 or so
https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt72_...heels-15-inch/

A refinish would probably be close to $100 per wheel
Totally different wheel. Spoke treatment is different. Not magnesium, no historical significance. While it is cast aluminum and probably stronger, its not very special.

I would bet the wheels you have are genuine period Minilite Magnesium wheels. They are fairly coveted, despite the fact you'd be insane to drive on them. They were often used on the rear of early racing 911s before wider Fuchs were available.

If it's a magnesium wheel, to have them properly refinished would cost a good amount more. When refinishing, you'd be dumb to not at the least have them magnfaluxed once they are stripped. X-raying is ideal. Perhaps it isn't necessary if the car is only going to roll on them at walking speed.

I personally wouldn't trust a 60's magnesium wheel to go any faster than a Zamboni machine.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:12 AM
RomiP
5th Gear

Thanks for details.
Interesting that they're coveted but not trustworthy to drive on.
I'll investigate refinishing options.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:48 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RomiP
Thanks for details.
Interesting that they're coveted but not trustworthy to drive on.
I'll investigate refinishing options.
They are rare, and a somewhat significant part of Porsche wheel history, as many period racers used them.

They might be okay to putter around on if you have them inspected. Plenty of people surely drive on them - old Ferraris and Lambos often have similar era magnesium wheels. The technology was rudimentary then. The technology is better now, but Mg wheels still have a much shorter lifespan than aluminum-alloy counterparts.

Just look up "magnesium wheel failure."

Between the fatigue and possibility of cracks and corrosion, I would put them on the wall.

But, due to fatigue I also wouldn't run original Fuchs on a track car either.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they are trash. But to me they are more of an art piece. With the amount of load and heat cycles wheels undergo (increases with tire technology), I simply would prefer to drive on something a little more sound.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:58 AM
RomiP
5th Gear

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
They are rare, and a somewhat significant part of Porsche wheel history, as many period racers used them.

They might be okay to putter around on if you have them inspected. Plenty of people surely drive on them - old Ferraris and Lambos often have similar era magnesium wheels. The technology was rudimentary then. The technology is better now, but Mg wheels still have a much shorter lifespan than aluminum-alloy counterparts.

Just look up "magnesium wheel failure."

Between the fatigue and possibility of cracks and corrosion, I would put them on the wall.

But, due to fatigue I also wouldn't run original Fuchs on a track car either.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they are trash. But to me they are more of an art piece. With the amount of load and heat cycles wheels undergo (increases with tire technology), I simply would prefer to drive on something a little more sound.
That makes complete sense.
I'm not familiar with early days racing and I clearly missed that part on wheels. Good to know that it's collectible item and I will for sure follow your recommendation with modern wheels.
I was just wondering what I had there and it's great to have knowledgeable people around to educate me. So much history with Porsche

Quick Reply: Unknown wheels