Sponsored by:

Custom wheels with conical seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 06:52 PM
Sprockett
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Custom wheels with conical seats

So a few wheel manufacturers create 5x130 wheels but only have cone seats. Are people with these wheels typically just getting another whole set of conical lug bolts?

All my Porsche lug bolts have always been a floating seat. A two piece bolt and ball seat washer. Is it possible to find floating m14 cone seats? I have various length Porsche bolts and various thickness spacers.

Is it crazy to machined the seat to ball?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To answer the first question...yes. When I ordered new aftermarket wheels they required a cone seat bolt instead of the OE ball seat. The manufacturer included a set of lug bolts with the wheels, but they didn't have the floating / captured washer. So to answer the second question...yes. I found that McGard makes an M14 lug bolt with the floating / captured conical washer.

This is what I purchased. This particular set also has a keyed locking lug which doesn't have the captured washer, but four of five on each wheel will. I believe their lugs are also available without the keyed / locking lug so all would have the captured washers.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Sprockett
Advanced

Sorry, to clarify. My Porsche lug bolts have always been two piece so I'm wondering if it's just possible to find cone washers. I have a number of different length bolts for different spacers...if I had to buy a different length bolt in each size for tapered bolts...well...
Old 01-24-2019, 12:26 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Do NOT try to match two different seats together. Ball seat to ball seat, or conical to conical. No exceptions.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Sprockett
Advanced

I'm unsure what the confusion is here.

I'm getting wheels for my Porsche that have cone seat not ball seat. I have a number of two piece M14x1.5 bolts with ball seat washers. I am wondering if they sell m14 cone seat washers so I don't have to buy all new bolts.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:53 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always either converted to studs, or just gotten another set of bolts.

I can't say I've really thought through the differences between floating- and non-floating seat bolts, but when I ordered wheels for my wife's Audi (which has floating-seat bolts) from Tire Rack, they sent me regular (non-floating-seat) bolts to go with them. That implies that they weren't too concerned about going from one to the other.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:03 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Here are some ball-to-cone seat adapters for VWs and Audis: https://www.urotuning.com/Wheel-Lug-...ts-p/70905.htm. I'm having trouble finding seat radius specs for either VW or Porsche, so I don't know if they'd work on a 981.

Having said that, swapping adapters seems like a lot more hassle than just having a separate set of lug bolts.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:10 PM
Sprockett
Advanced

Those adapters are a washer with a ball seat to use on your cone seat bolts. I would be looking for the other way around.

Swapping washers would be a lot less hassle than buying multiple sets of different length cone seat lug bolts.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:19 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Originally Posted by Sprockett
Those adapters are a washer with a ball seat to use on your cone seat bolts. I would be looking for the other way around.
Just turn them around so that they face the opposite way, then.

Seriously, I've got nothing. Do the stud conversion.

Quick Reply: Custom wheels with conical seats