Sponsored by:

Questions for those with Centerlocks

Old 01-07-2019, 05:15 PM
ca86108
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions for those with Centerlocks

Hello,

My newly acquired 997.2 TTS came with centerlock wheels. Can anyone with experience with these answer a few questions?

1. I heard that in order to take off the wheels, the car has to be in the air, all 4 tires off the ground and on a lift. Is this true?
2. What tools do I need to take the wheels off? The tool in the frunk that is an add on plus a break bar that has to be a minimum of 450 ft/lbs tq correct?
3. Where do I buy a breaker bar that strong?
4. Is it easy to take off when you have the right tools?
5. Will Porsche take them off and do things like swap in aftermarket wheels?
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My understanding:

1. Ideally the entire car should be off, but lifting the front or rear only at one time works, you just don't want lateral force on the axle which happens when you raise one side.
2.,3. Precision Instruments makes a torque wrench that works. They also sell a combo pack which includes a handle to be used for the breaker bar. That's what I use.
Here is the kit, in the US they seem to be everywhere...
Amazon Amazon
http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/item...ckCode=C5D600F
You will also need the centerlock grease, Porsche sells..
4. The first time took me way too long, a few hours, but most of the time was spent trying to get the locks to engage..It takes a few times to get used to the process, but I can change a centerlock wheel almost as quickly as a 5 bolt now. There are numerous threads on the process, as well as youtube. The thing I found the hardest was re-engaging the nut lock inside. I found using a 1/2 ratchet extension turning enough to create a small amount of tension and pulling out fully engages the lock easily..
5. No clue on Porsche and aftermarket wheels. I do myself..

Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions for those with Centerlocks