Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Wheel and Tire Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum-74/)
-   -   Winter storage, tire pressure, and flatstoppers (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum/1093850-winter-storage-tire-pressure-and-flatstoppers.html)

Amiroquai 08-28-2018 02:51 PM

Winter storage, tire pressure, and flatstoppers

Hello,

in, early, preparation for storing her away for the winter, I am trying to decide what the best approach is for tire pressure while using flatstoppers.

Many recommend overinflating the tire, which makes sense = higher pressure translates to less tire surface area contacting the flat surface of garage floor = smaller, if at all, flat spot.

however, my logic tells me that the same rule should not apply when using concave flatstoppers. If anything, I would think that perhaps lower pressure is better so that the tire conforms more to the concave and round surface area of the flatstopper, retaining the round shape of the tire.

I am probably overthinking this but would still appreciate hearing other people's opinions!

RossP 08-31-2018 10:37 AM

Normal pressures with flatstoppers should be fine. Flat spotting tires is less of an issue with modern street tires, especially with treadwear over 200.

LexVan 08-31-2018 10:47 AM

Don't waste your money on anything like flatstoppers. Pump up your tires to 55-58 PSI. If you want to get fancy, on the first Saturday of each month, slightly roll the car by hand (don't store car in gear.....use wheel chocks) about 1/4-1/2 revolution. Then back the next month. If you want to get extra-fancy, overfill tires with nitrogen. I've been hibernating Porsches like this for over 12 years. My hibernation periods last from mid-October till mid-March/April. I've never had a flat spotted tire.

Scooby921 09-04-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 15256700)
Don't waste your money on anything like flatstoppers. Pump up your tires to 55-58 PSI. If you want to get fancy, on the first Saturday of each month, slightly roll the car by hand (don't store car in gear.....use wheel chocks) about 1/4-1/2 revolution. Then back the next month. If you want to get extra-fancy, overfill tires with nitrogen. I've been hibernating Porsches like this for over 12 years. My hibernation periods last from mid-October till mid-March/April. I've never had a flat spotted tire.

Seconded.

I store my car in an unheated attached garage in the winter. I leave it on the OE Pirelli PZero tires. I inflate them to ~50psi before putting it away. If I remember I roll the car forward or backward once a month to put load on a different part of the tire, but even then I've gone longer and not had an issue come spring. Same hibernation period for me too...October to April.

brad@tirerack.com 10-10-2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 15256700)

Agree if storing on the car. You could always over inflate, and put the car on jack stands if you were worried about the tires flats potting also.